Menu

Writing with ease

hsmom

The IG (The Complete Writer) gives you the philosophy of the program and an overview of what to do in each of the four grammar-stage years, including sample weeks (about 6-8 per year) and instructions for creating your own assignments the rest of the time. This is a great resource to have, but much of the philosophy is also set out in WTM and in SWB's lectures (see "audio" at the WTM/Peace Hill Press store for downloads).

The workbooks do *not* give you the philosophy at all -- but they do give you daily lessons (four days per week) for 36 weeks for whichever level you've chosen. I find the selections well-considered and it's a tremendous time-saver.

The student pages are only necessary for *additional* students in your family using the same workbook, so you don't have to photocopy.

So really, you could get by with either TCW (and make your own assignments day-to-day) or the workbook (if you already understand the approach). I have TCW and have used the workbooks for levels 2-4. I've found both beneficial. I used TCW with my older child when I wanted to do a quick recap of the skills in WWE, but knew he didn't need to spend a year at any level. We just did the sample lessons from 3 and 4 in a couple of months and that was great. I also found it useful to read through the philosophy once more, even though it was something I was familiar with from having used WTM for a number of years. My younger one has done levels 2-4 of the workbooks, and I love the grab-and-go convenience.

I am full of questions today. What all do I need for this program? Do I need the IG, complete workbook and student pages?

Also pros and cons please.

You just need the complete workbook.

The IG explains the plan and philosophy, and it's nice but not essential, especially if you've read WTM or listened to the writing audio lectures and already understand the program.

The student pages are the same student pages that are included in the workbook. You would purchase them if you used the program with a second student.

I bought the workbook. I'm almost ashamed to say I did, it seems like a waste of curriculum money, but I realized if I only used the IG, I was dragging my feet on finding selections to narrate. It was hard for me to pick the perfect thing to read. I worried that I couldn't find anything and that led to me just not doing the lesson for a few weeks and obviously that's not the way to teach school :lol:

So I bought one workbook for both kids to share. They do the copywork on 1/2" lined paper instead of the tearout sheets at the back (I write it at the top and then they copy below it). I will probably use the tearout sheets with my 4 year old when she does 1st grade. Or maybe I'll have her write it out also and then resell the book. hmmm... :)

Some of the narration selections so far have been tough for my 1st grader, but he really needs exposed to new vocabulary (i.e. BIG words!), so maybe this will expose him to new vocabulary. If it was me picking the selections, I probably would have used ones that were safer, less challenging.

Anyway, I like the workbook and the lessons are getting done, so I'm glad I bought it. I bought Level 1 & 2 at the same time so I could get free shipping, I looked at the store and they wanted an additional $10 for it.