Menu

Dinosaur book recommendations?

KristenR

My 4 year old LOVES dinosaurs. She's quite obsessed so I am using her interest to promote further reading. She reads fairly well. She's comfortable with level 1 or 2 readers but is much more confident reading picture books. I have been taking her to the library every week and we have gone through quite a few books.

I'm sure with this many parents on the forum there would have to be a few suggestions for some must read dinosaur books.

One of my daughter's current favorites is "My Dinosaur" by Mark Alan Weatheby.

Anyone have other suggestions?

I printed out the field guide cards from PBS' Dinosaur Train and put them into a small photo-album. http://pbskids.org/dinosaurtrain/games/fieldguide.html

My children liked

Smithsonian's Alphabet of Dinosaurs

http://www.amazon.com/Alphabet-Dinosaurs-Smithsonian-Books/dp/1592499937/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1300038944&sr=1-1

and

Boy Were We Wrong About Dinosaurs

http://www.amazon.com/Boy-Were-Wrong-About-Dinosaurs/dp/0142411930/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1300039014&sr=8-1

There are also several Let's Read and Find Out Science books about dinosaurs.

We are looking for either fiction or non-fiction. And oec and evolution if possible.

I forgot that the c in oec stands for creation. duh. :001_huh: I meant to say YE or OE.

Okay the best non-fiction book for this age ever is Wee Sing and Learn Dinosaurs. Here is a pdf that has the whole book pretty much written out for you sans pictures.

www.weesing.com/songSheets/lyricLearnDinosaurs.pdf The book comes with a CD that you can read along to.

The News About Dinosaurs by Patricia Lauber is a nice Non-fiction one because it is not too large and has realistic pictures.

Then for fiction DS loves Dinos to Go by Sandra Boynton. Loves it. We got it from the library, renewed it four times and finally bought our own. Each 2 page spread is a poem about a different type of dinosaur (they have people like personalities).

Don't forget Danny and the Dinosaur. My DD really liked that one at this age, along with other similar books.

Finally, two fiction books that DD liked about a Sea Monsters. (She was 6 I think.) Lucy and the Sea Monster (Young Puzzle Adventures)

And Serendipity.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

OH WEE SING!! I forgot about that! I had seen it at the library but they only had the cassette tapes and not CDs. I'm sure if I search my library catalog they can pull it in from another branch for me. Thanks for the reminder!

Can't wait to check out all these great books!

We are HUGE Sandra Boynton fans here. Can't believe we've missed Dinos to Go. We have Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs, and Dinosaurs Binket. We'll keep our eye out for more!

:D