Menu

Shortness of breath mid sentence... Anybody?

My 7 yo dd does this often. It's not something new but I guess I was thinking it was a maturity issue that would go away. She is a very good reader, above grade level, and doing very well both academically and socially in our wonderful public elementary school. Her memory is not fantastic, unfortunately in this regard she is like me; it's almost as if she had to work extra hard to translate her thoughts into words. Her teacher approached me this week and asked me about this issue. She is going to request a speech evaluation.

I am wondering if anybody here has any experience with this particular issue who would like to share. I have been searching the web and I have not found much yet.

Thank you so much in advance.

Does she stop because she needs to think mid sentence or is she short of breath, meaning a breathing issue?

If it is short of breath, I would ask the doctor about some lung function tests. There are some very simple peak flow meters that could test in a few minutes if she can get enough air in and out of her lungs.