Menu

Why is my house so dark? Need some lighting solutions, please help...

We live in FL and our house is all on one level. We must have the worst placement on a lot because as I look out at the sunlight all around, our house is still dark. When you walk into the foyer the living room is to the right and dining room to the left. They both have large windows. The den is straight ahead to the right with a nice window, as well. Then you walk through the kitchen to the lanai with a sliding glass door. We have very light/neutral colors including light cabinets and countertops but the house seems so dark. I think we need to do something with added lighting/floor to ceiling lamps, etc. I love living in FL and I feel blessed with our house but I need to stop feeling like I am living in a cave. Any suggestions?

If you have a wall where the light comes through that bounces off that wall, make sure it's not dark, ie bookshelf from wood that would be dark, any dark colors, etc. My house is somewhat dark too and drives me batty. I have a back bedroom that was somewhat light, until I put my schoolroom in there. I put my bookshelves on the wall that bounced the lightf and the room was a total cave. Drove me batty.

So make those walls lighter.

That's the cheap way. :001_smile:

If you have a wall where the light comes through that bounces off that wall, make sure it's not dark

I was just thinking about that. Our one wall that opens to the lanai is a bit dark. I may try to lighten that up.

When we lived in northern FL (Jacksonville area), I enjoyed having a dark, cool house

That's true. Our house if very tight and well insulated so the cool/dark factor does have it's pluses.