Menu

Crosspost: Diagramming question

m0mmaBuck

I posted this on the general board too.

My DS9 can diagram ANYTHING but if I tell him to circle the adjectives in a sentence, he struggles to find them. He finds them to diagram them but not within the sentence, if that makes sense. He knows his parts of speech so that isn't it. So what is it?

When you are diagramming a relatively simple sentence, there is a sequence through which you analyze the words. You look first for the subject and the verb and diagram them. Then find any direct objects, indirect objects, or subject complements and diagram those. Finally, you diagram the adjectives and adverbs. In this way you are using a "process of elimination" to get to the adverbs. Many of the other words in the sentence are taken out of consideration before you even need to look for the modifiers. Then what remains is just the task of distinguishing adjectives from adverbs.

If you are just searching for adverbs to circle in a sentence, you have to comb through all the words in the sentence and hold all their designations in your mind.

Eliminating the subject/verb/d.o./i.o./s.c.'s leaves fewer words to comb through. Maybe your child could lightly cross out the subject/verb/d.o./i.o./s.c.'s first?