Menu

Homeschool in the Woods Activity Paks

Aloha2U

Has anyone ever done the Old Testament Activity Pak? I never thought we'd really get into lapbooking, however, my little man may like these projects next year. I just wonder if they would be doable with a 2nd grader? They look so much more interesting than History Pockets, which I just can't seem to get myself to buy.

Edited by NCAmusings
added link

I'm not sure how advanced your 2nd grader is, but I would probably save these until he is ready to complete more of it by himself. The history pockets seem like a good introdution to me. My two kiddos and I completed one together for Thanksgiving and we all had fun pitching in. I think they all learned a lot and liked looking through the final product, which we made more like a scrapbook.

I've done the Old Testament Activity Pak with my 2nd grader this year. He needed a bit more help than my 5th grader, but he certainly enjoyed them. My opinion would be that if he really likes lapbooks etc. then he would probably do fine with it.

hth

Kerri :)

I'm not trying to talk you into HP, but we have loved them! The kids have completed about 5 books over the years and enjoyed almost all of it. I've skipped any activities that weren't interesting which is easy to do as one activity does not build on a previous one.

Of course, I believe we need to research then go with our 'gut'.

We did the NT one when my oldest DD was 5 - I had to do a lot of it, but she has remembered SO much, still to this day. Whenever we are discussing parables she whips out her completed lapbook and opens up her little parable book that she illustrated. The retention has been really good, I just wish we had done it when she was a bit older ;).

Ok, this maybe a dumb question, but those of you who use and like the HPs... do you use them as activities to reinforce what they've already learned on said topic or do you use it as the learning tool?

I don't mean to offend anyone by saying this, but it seems like the HPs are mainly busy work... just something to show parents or the state (if you have to report). We did some literature pockets last year and I felt the same way about those, so we ended up ditching them. Are the HPs the same?

I used it as the learning tool for the thanksgiving one. We read several picture books about pilgrims, then we went topic by topic and discussed each a little more in depth. I tried to do the Ancient Egypt one with my son when he was in 1st or 2nd grade and it was a total flop. I think because he just isn't crafty. I can see the HP being very fun to use along with the book Living Long Ago or the Usborne 1st Encyclopedia, both of which my girl used in her curriculum this year. I think she would enjoy ANY crafty thing I put in front of her. We did several crafts with our Viking studies and she still remembers them.

Oh and FWIW, I thought they looked very busy-workish too, until I did it with my girlie who really loves hands-on stuff, and because she loved it so much, I'm a fan. Also, she can't read yet, so most lapbooks will be too much for her, so puppets and such were right up her alley. I think these will be good until she can read and write proficiently (to be able to complete a "real" lapbook).

I don't mean to offend anyone by saying this, but it seems like the HPs are mainly busy work... just something to show parents or the state (if you have to report). We did some literature pockets last year and I felt the same way about those, so we ended up ditching them. Are the HPs the same?

I'm not offended, but it's not just busywork for my kids. They learned a lot about the Civil War last year (the uniforms, leaders, battles, etc.) that wasn't in our (many, many) books. There is coloring and pasting, but even my 11 yo ds enjoyed completing the projects.

My then 7 yo dd worked on the Tall Tales Lit Pockets. I agree that the projects weren't as interesting/educational, they were more like a fun accompanyment. Again, if my dc didn't enjoy it I would definitely pitch it.

Now, they may not be for your or your dc. I don't think they are a good fit for every child. I do think there is a lot in them for a very reasonable price.

I hope this helps someone out there! :001_smile:

For some children it might be busy work, but my DD loves the cutting/pasting type activities. It actually works to cement learning for her if we can talk/read while doing these sorts of activities. Sometimes I get her cutting and pasting while I read to her. She can't just sit and listen ;).