Menu

Harpers Ferry

I'm visiting my sister and parents in Northern VA (Loudoun county) this week. They are about an hour from Harpers Ferry. We are going there on Friday but will only have about 2 hours to spend there. It's been years since I've been there so need help on what can't be missed. I know I want to get a pic of the cousins at the Tri-state spot. We'll have a 6 year old with us. What says the hive? What can't be missed? And where is the best place to EAT?

I have been through Harper's Ferry but haven't really spent time there. I can tell you the area is very scenic but it appears to be a very small town. I would just do a search to find out what's there.

Maybe someone who is more familiar with the area will respond.

Hi, my parents live there so I just asked my Mom. She said they eat at the Cannonball Deli (pretty much every day it seems). And there are a bunch of ice cream places. You can walk across the bridge over to Maryland and wander on the C&O canal. Visit the armory and all of the little historical shops on the Main Street. She said to check the website and see of there are tours or anything while you are there.

Oh, and she said that Harpers Ferry Books is a great little bookstore to check (shameless plug, it's my parents' store).

HTH. If you have any other questions I can ask her.

Hi, my parents live there so I just asked my Mom. She said they eat at the Cannonball Deli (pretty much every day it seems). And there are a bunch of ice cream places. You can walk across the bridge over to Maryland and wander on the C&O canal. Visit the armory and all of the little historical shops on the Main Street. She said to check the website and see of there are tours or anything while you are there.

Oh, and she said that Harpers Ferry Books is a great little bookstore to check (shameless plug, it's my parents' store).

HTH. If you have any other questions I can ask her.

Fun! If I see the bookstore, I'll pop in. Thank you!

It is a small town and easy to scout and cover it all in a short day. We went when it was warmer and especially enjoyed tubing down the Shenandoah River!

I canoed in to the area when in high school, not sure which river... Came through Brunswick and Lucketts, if I recall. It's been so long that I just couldn't remember much.

The National Historic Park, or Monument, or whatever it's called, is extremely well done. Instead of building a museum, they restored or rebuilt the original houses in the historic part of town and have an exhibit in each house. The exhibits are interesting and well done. There's so much history in Harpers Ferry that I wasn't aware of - I only knew about John Brown until I actually went there.

I think it would be fun even for a six-year-old, because you're popping in and out of tiny houses and going along the streets (no cars allowed).

The National Historic Park, or Monument, or whatever it's called, is extremely well done. Instead of building a museum, they restored or rebuilt the original houses in the historic part of town and have an exhibit in each house. The exhibits are interesting and well done. There's so much history in Harpers Ferry that I wasn't aware of - I only knew about John Brown until I actually went there.

I think it would be fun even for a six-year-old, because you're popping in and out of tiny houses and going along the streets (no cars allowed).

Thanks, Rivka, I'm thinking my nephew will like having more freedom without the cars! Waving to you from the air as I land at BWI tonight.