Menu

Male (boy) Cheerleaders? Dare I go there?

So boy wants to maybe act someday, and is now involved with dance and gymnastics. He has an opportunity to join a competitive cheerleading team. This makes me go 'ick' but what do I know? The coach went to college on a full ride cheerleading scholarship, so there is that. But cheerleading for boys just doesn't sit right with me. It is, really, mostly tumbling and stunts. Anybody have a pre-pubescent boy involved with cheer?

Watch Hellcats (okay, one of my downfalls). Cheerleading is definitely NOT a sissy sport! Men/boys are needed! Nothing 'ick' about it other than if you are thinking about it from a 1950's mindset ;)

Interestingly, I have exactly the opposite feeling.

My son (13 tomorrow!) has been dancing since he was seven and is often the only guy in the room. My theory all along has been that spending so much time with girls would help him get comfortable around them and learn to see them as people and friends, rather than objects at which to gawk.

I so agree with this! It's why I'm happy whenever ds has girl teammates on his hockey team. Last year, we had a girl for our goalie. She was awesome!

I want him to experience being around girls in a friend/ team mate situation, because it will just seem normal to him, to be around girls. I think those situations (or societies) which strictly keep boys and girls away from each other until adult hood really end up with an explosive situation.

See this is where I am clueless. I am just sort of scared of him hanging around so many fit girls week after week...and approaching the age where hormonally he will be coming of age. I dont' want him to become sexually active young, and feel like putting him in an environment with all these scantilly clad girls is setting him up for failure in this area. I have no experience with healthy male coming of age, but want that for my boy. And I also have no experience with boys as dancers or cheerleaders.

I know know your son or you for that matter. So I have to ask this and, I ask it in all sincerity. Are you giving him enough credit?

Also you may not have any experience with the male coming of age, but his father certainly does. What does dad say about the cheerleading?