Menu

Getting Started

Guest cgkmom

Guest cgkmom

Hello! This is my first post, I am new to WTM and homeschooling, although have been a fan since before my daughter was born 2 1/2 years ago! :)

My daughter is 2 1/2 years old, I am strong believer in homeschooling using the classical education philosophy. I have graduate degrees in education and behavior analysis, and have worked in special education for the last 17 years. While my daughter is only 2 1/2, I want to get a good start, and an early start as much as I can. She knows her letters (upper and lowercase), numbers, colors, shapes, most letter sounds, continents, planets, is sounding out words to "read", knows about 50 sight words, and asks questions about everything- to my delight :) I am reading the WTM, and am combing through this blog, my questions are this:

1. What else can/should I be doing to build a strong foundation in skills and habit?

2. How does one structure the day for homeschooling lessons?

3. Are there WTM consultants for hire to get things started?

4. I am relocating to NYC area, are there groups that meet for support and cooperative learning?

A kind thank you to all responses.

My best,

Janis

My first advice to you is relax! She's not yet 3! She's doing excellent, I'd even say advanced, but this is the age for you to read read read to her. Don't push anything right now.

Keep the skills she has. Answer her questions. Feed her curiosity. But let her be 2 1/2! There will be plenty of time of school later.

Thanks for making me feel like a slacker! :001_smile: jk My friend who's dd is the same age as my ds2 is starting her on the "Your Baby Can Read" dvds. Personally I prefer learning phonics rather than sight reading (which I think is a big part of YBCR) but you seem like you might want to go that early route. I agree with the read, read, read! advice, although I'm starting to go a little crazy with all the "Read stories? Read stories? Okay!" every five minutes from my almost 2yo :001_rolleyes:

Echoing the others... Read, read, read. As much as you can stand.

Get outside as much as possible in all weathers. Take her to the zoo, the children's museums, the art museums, the park, and have as many experiences as you can. Count things, make groups of ten, sort things, then sort them a different way, count by tens.

Let her learn to do things on her own, let her give the money to the cashier at the grocery store, explain what you are doing. Talk about what you are working on and why you are doing it. Teach her that the world is an exciting place full of exciting things to learn.

Take the time, as you have been, to explore her interests.

My oldest son was obsessed with construction equipment at that age. We read books about equipment over and over again. We learned where all the construction sites were in town and we went there and watched the machines day after day after day... and we went back at night, touched the bulldozers and excavators, stood in the tracks, took pictures, and got muddy.

When she finds a love like that (whatever it is), go with her, help her to explore it and go deep for information. But let her lead it.

One of the biggest mistakes I made was pushing my oldest to continue on with "learning" when he was tired of it. I should have let him take the lead.

Guest cgkmom

Hello and a BIG thank you to all responses- I appreciate your feedback and advice; relax is not my nature :lol: but point taken. Great suggestions and I will keep on keeping on- and make sure its fun!

thank you all! additional advice and wisdom always welcome!!

Janis

I encourage you to teach yourself right now.

I used an even older edition of:

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Mathematics-Elementary-Middle-Schools/dp/0131700596/ref=tmm_pap_title_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299696537&sr=1-1

and learned about manipulatives and age-appropriate skills. It really helped me. I also started plowing through grammar and learning the spelling rules a la SWR. Then, when it was time, I was "pick up and go". Gave me something to focus on, and did help, in the long run.