Menu

Help with what I need with CLE

Mom28kds

When ordering CLE for a 1st and 5th grader for LA and Math. What do I definitely need in addition to the light units? I'm needing to save money but I definitley want to get what I need. For instance, do I need "My counting book", their flash cards (or could I use my own), The counting chart. Do I need On teaching writing or could I use another writing program or is this a really good program and I should just stick with this one. What TM's do I need (yes, I would like the answers)? TIA

Edited by Mom28kds

For 1st grade you will NEED the TMs since there is a lot of scripting, and material in them that isn't in the LUs at this level.

Math : I would highly recommend getting the flashcards for 1st grade, they are very nicely set up and are used thru 4th grade I believe it is. If you are really tight on your budget you can make or arrange others yourself (there is a list in the back of the TM) but having the ones CLE makes is a lot easier. (someone on here was selling a set not long ago)

I have not done 5th yet, but most people seem to just use the Answer Keys at this level since the TMs do not contain the answers, and the LUs have all the instruction in them.

While the additional 1st math materials (Counting Book, Calendar Book, etc) are nice they are not really "needed" to do the course.

There is an active yahoo group for CLE also if you wanted to talk to more people using it :)

( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/christianlightfamilies/ )

HTH,

For 1st grade you will NEED the TMs since there is a lot of scripting, and material in them that isn't in the LUs at this level.

Math : I would highly recommend getting the flashcards for 1st grade, they are very nicely set up and are used thru 4th grade I believe it is. If you are really tight on your budget you can make or arrange others yourself (there is a list in the back of the TM) but having the ones CLE makes is a lot easier. (someone on here was selling a set not long ago)

I have not done 5th yet, but most people seem to just use the Answer Keys at this level since the TMs do not contain the answers, and the LUs have all the instruction in them.

While the additional 1st math materials (Counting Book, Calendar Book, etc) are nice they are not really "needed" to do the course.

There is an active yahoo group for CLE also if you wanted to talk to more people using it :)

( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/christianlightfamilies/ )

HTH,

:iagree:

What she said:

Flash card, LU's, TM's for 1rst grade

Lu's and Answer Keys for 5th

I don't know anybody who's using their creative writing book, so I can't help you there.

Short answer- you only need the Lightunits. I also recommend the answer keys.

However, all of those things are helpful. You can use other flash cards. They have their own CLE flashcard system, but you can use yours.

You don't have to use the Teacher's manual, but it is helpful. In the lower grades (1-2), it helps you teach the math and in the higher grades 7 -8, it has solutions, rather than just answers and some of the math is hard at that level. However, it is not at all necessary unless your math is weak. We didn't even buy it until now- 8th grade- because it has the solutions and the second half of 8th grade starts to get difficult even for adults.

Basically, CLE is very workbook open and go. After first grade, most children can largely do it on their own with occasional supervision, but not constant teaching.

You also don't have to use the "On Teaching Writing Book", but otherwise, CLE doesn't have much writing. Or, you can use a separate writing program or just teach writing yourself. We got it but only used it occasionally.

We got the Counting Book and the chart, but didn't use them much. Basically, you don't need any of these things. However, it is helpful for children to learn the same things in different contexts. Thus, the varied approach of workbook, flashcards, manipulatives, etc. If you only learn in one context (the workbook), sometimes the material isn't as solid in your brain.

The answer keys are very helpful. I do recommend getting the answer keys and they don't cost much. You can even have your children grade their own work. That is the one thing we really used a lot.

The other thing I recommend is something you didn't mention. Only for the first grader. Get some beans or pennies to use as manipulatives. Introduce every new concept using the beans or pennies. Then, go to the book. Numbers in a book are too abstract for most first graders and some don't catch on to math because of it. You need to show them things first, then show them that the things are represented by numbers.

Your welcome :)

I actually use R&S for 1st grade Math ... however thats only because my boys catch on slowwww and it teaches the basic facts in "houses", and the space given for writing the numbers is larger and my boys have all been slow/late to develop their handwriting skills. But then again I take about a year and a half to cover "1st" grade due to these things.

The TMs are only really "needed" for 1st grade. However they are still quite useful in 2nd IMO.

I actually got the TMs for 3rd as well, they do have extra info, as well as alternate tests in case you have a student who needs to retest. But thats just me I prefer the TMs over the AKs wherever the answers are in them.

Hope you enjoy your school year!

Edited by rdolphingirl

Short answer- you only need the Lightunits. I also recommend the answer keys.

:iagree: in 3rd grade we purchased the multiplication/division cards though - but for 1st & 2nd we were fine with just the LU's. i don't even recommend the answer keys for grade 2 honestly, just 1st grade. i didn't need anything but the LU's for 2nd.