Menu

Ever look at your state's history standards?

History was the thing that convinced me it wouldn't be the end of the world to use K12 this year. I'm not sure how they fall in line with state standards in KS, but my youngest was doing the ancients (before we pulled her out) and my oldest two are using the Joy Hakim books.

I have learned so much about history through hsing and my kids already have a much better grasp on the idea that we aren't the center of the all civilization than I did when I graduated. It's quite a different way of looking at the world.

I had to observe TX world history classes as part of my teacher observation class last semester. I came away wondering how anyone could learn anything in any world history class besides random trivia. It was *SO* disconnected and the information which was given was *SO* surface-level!!! Granted, I didn't notice this in high school -- but as a senior history major, it was very clear...

I think the attention paid to US history is rather preposterous in comparison with the *YEAR* devoted to *ALL WORLD HISTORY* in TX (and probably other states). That's really something that should be changed in the US educational system.

I think that's true, and I wouldn't have a problem with that if they were actually teaching history in the schools. But they aren't. At least not in the 2 districts we've been involved with, and they are supposed to be among the best in the state. :mad:

My only experience is with the Dubuque district and it used to be very good. I don't know about now.