Menu

Philosophy Curriculum

Guest mamaof2d

Guest mamaof2d

Is anyone using a particular philosophy curriculum which is not bible-based? We have been reading some of the 'great works' to cover this. I have put together a somewhat eclectic format of different curricula including a good lot of the Classical Style book list. I just don't know if I am covering Philosophy in the best way. I am curious if anyone is using an actual curriculum model specifically designed for teaching philosophy to grade school aged children?

~mamaof2d

RS4K, SM, SOTW, WWE, LTK, Dance Pad Typing, Piano Lessons, Martial Arts, Various Arts & Crafts, Astronomy Club

I majored in philosophy in college and one of the high points of my schooling was a summer spent at Montclair State University studying Philosophy for Children. The school has an entire department devoted to this: the Institute for Advancement of Philosophy for Children (IAPC). The IAPC has developed wonderful curricula for introducing children to philosophical inquiry. It is designed for classroom use but I have been using it in our homeschool and it's worked very well.

The IAPC website has lots of great info, and you can order the textbooks and teacher's manuals from the site as well (you have to print the order form and mail it in.) I've also found some of the books secondhand on Amazon. I recommend their teacher's guide titled "Philosophy for Children Practitioners Handbook." This was a textbook in one of my college courses and I have found it to be super helpful when it comes to teaching my kids.

The website is http://cehs.montclair.edu/academic/iapc/

Cheers, Kathleen

I majored in philosophy in college and one of the high points of my schooling was a summer spent at Montclair State University studying Philosophy for Children. The school has an entire department devoted to this: the Institute for Advancement of Philosophy for Children (IAPC). The IAPC has developed wonderful curricula for introducing children to philosophical inquiry. It is designed for classroom use but I have been using it in our homeschool and it's worked very well.

The IAPC website has lots of great info, and you can order the textbooks and teacher's manuals from the site as well (you have to print the order form and mail it in.) I've also found some of the books secondhand on Amazon. I recommend their teacher's guide titled "Philosophy for Children Practitioners Handbook." This was a textbook in one of my college courses and I have found it to be super helpful when it comes to teaching my kids.

The website is http://cehs.montclair.edu/academic/iapc/

Cheers, Kathleen

If you are in NJ I can put you in touch with our Philosophy teacher who studied with Matt Lipman (creator of the Philosophy for Children program). My kids love their philosophy group.

Guest mamaof2d

Thank you all for the input and links. This is exactly the sort of information I was hoping to find. I am going to pick up 'Big Ideas for Little Kids' from the book store today. I have penciled into next month's book budget 'Philosophy for Children Practitioner Book' and either 'Elfie' or 'Pixie'.

We are no where close to New York but I appreciate the idea of looking for a philosophy group. Who knows, if we do not find one we may just begin one, given a bit of time of course!

Is it a fair assumption that with the aid of 'Big Ideas...' and/or '...Practitioner Book' that we would be able to apply the concepts across the board with our literature and materials? I ordered RS4K and was considering adding the Philosophy Kogs Book to connect the curriculum. I'm just curious what others have found to work.

Philosophy seems incredibly important since one of our primary goals of homeschooling is to raise and nurture thinkers! I'm sure everyone here can relate!

Thanks again for all of your input. It has been truly useful.

~mamaof2d

Thank you all for the input and links. This is exactly the sort of information I was hoping to find. I am going to pick up 'Big Ideas for Little Kids' from the book store today. I have penciled into next month's book budget 'Philosophy for Children Practitioner Book' and either 'Elfie' or 'Pixie'.
These are best used with groups, as they are designed to be facilitated seminars rather than lessons. While they can be done one-on-one, the experience is not nearly so rich, and requires a tremendous effort in the part of the facilitator (you'll know what I mean when you see the TM). Is there any chance you could do this as a co-op?

Guest mamaof2d
These are best used with groups, as they are designed to be facilitated seminars rather than lessons. While they can be done one-on-one, the experience is not nearly so rich, and requires a tremendous effort in the part of the facilitator (you'll know what I mean when you see the TM). Is there any chance you could do this as a co-op?

At the current moment co-op is not an option. I'm hoping to find something suitable next 'school year' but our area seems fairly limited.

...maybe I did luck out! lol I couldn't find a copy a 'Big Ideas for Little Kids' at my book store yesterday. However, I did pick up 'Little Big Minds' by Marietta McCarty which seems very promising. Not only does it seem to get into each of the major concepts (friendship, humanity, justice, time, etc), it covers two philosophers under each concept and gives prompts to continue into critical thought on an individual level. For now, I think this will be a good start with the main concepts. I do hope this will allow us to interconnect many of our other subjects as well.

Trial and error....I'm just hoping for less error!