Menu

HSLDA Seminar for struggling learners?

https://www.hslda.org/earlyyears/seminar/default.asp

I'm thinking of going to this, but it is a 7 hour drive. Has anyone done a similar seminar or heard these speakers? Is it worth a weekend trip? I have a 6 year old who is very much a struggling learner and I am having trouble finding out what/how to help him. I also have a toddler who is deaf and has a tramautic brain injury so he will have some unique challenges when he is school aged.

https://www.hslda.org/earlyyears/seminar/default.asp

I'm thinking of going to this, but it is a 7 hour drive. Has anyone done a similar seminar or heard these speakers? Is it worth a weekend trip? I have a 6 year old who is very much a struggling learner and I am having trouble finding out what/how to help him. I also have a toddler who is deaf and has a tramautic brain injury so he will have some unique challenges when he is school aged.

Based on the speakers, I would not drive 7 hours to the conference. I might go if it were close to home, but I would use the hotel and travel towards an evaluation. I am sure that they will have good tips and tricks they have learned from their experience - could you get recordings from the conference when it is over? I'm a lot more "scientific" about these things than many in the homeschooling world, though.

I agree with Renee, I wouldn't drive 7 hours for a this one day conference. Also, you will not get the discounted hotel rate, because you had to book that by February 25th. So you have to ask, "How much is this trip going to cost me?"

If you would be able and willing to invest that much into equipping yourself to help your children, then why not find another resource closer to home and invest the money there? Renee's suggestion to find a qualified evaluator or special needs "coach" is a good one. Is there anyone closer to home who can help you help your children? :grouphug: