Menu

S/O Latin for the SAT II

For the SAT2 Latin, you'd want to be finished with Latin grammar and have some experience in reading glossed sight passages by various authors.

Henle covers Latin grammar in volumes 1 and 2 (I can't answer by years, since various study guides tackle Henle 1 and 2 over many years).

I'd recommend getting a copy of a real SAT2 Latin test (there's a big book put out by the College Board with samples of all their SAT2 tests). That sample test will give you the best idea of whether or not your student is ready. Also, there's a SAT2 Latin review book on the market put out by REA that my dd found useful. The Excelability workbook (sold by Bolchazy-Carducci publishers) is wonderful for sight passage practice and grammar review, as are old NLE exams.

The Latin AP exam follows a set syllabus (and it will take your student all year long to work through that set of readings:)). Next year is the last year for the old Vergil exam. After that, they are coming out with a new hybrid Vergil/Caesar exam. Bolchazy-Carducci has lots of texts, workbooks and study helps for the old Vergil exam, and they're in the process of developing the same for the new exam. Most kids don't attempt the AP Latin syllabus before their fourth year (at the earliest) of serious Latin study.

I concur with Kathy in Richmond.

My daughter did all of her Latin in out of the home classes. She took both the AP exam and the SAT Subject test after four years of Latin study.

She too used the REA and Excelability books to review. (If you are interested, I have a copy of Excelability for sale on the sale board.)

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you Kathy and Kareni. I guess I was wondering how little dd could get away with in Latin before being able to do well on the SAT II. :tongue_smilie: She does well with languages, but it's not her favorite thing. I was wondering if she could get by with two years of Latin, but it sounds like three is the minimum for the SAT II and four for the AP.

Kareni the book sounds interesting, but we're not at that stage yet as she's only in her first year of Latin. I was hoping to have her take the National Latin exam, but I've done some googling and found out registration was back in January and the test will be given shortly. I had no idea it was this early in the year. We'll need to plan better for that next year.