Menu

2nd set of MUS blocks

meggie

We still have only the initial set. Gettng the "Completer Set" can be helpful for some things, such as, in Alpha, when they teach you to tell time, counting by 5's. It gives you enough 5's to go all the way around the clock. However, you can accomplish this by putting 2's, 3's, 4's, and 1's together, also, so it's not imperative.

I've currently got one in Alpha and one in Delta and we haven't missed the extra blocks. I would like them, but are they completely necessary? Nope.

and just the other day I was glad I could make a 1000 cube out of ten 100 squares. I know I could have done it with tens made out of smaller blocks, but it was visually simple and what I wanted. I am not using MUS, but I love the blocks.

I bought the completer set a couple of years into our MUS journey. We rarely actually need them, but at the time, I thought they would be nice to have on hand since I have three children doing MUS.

We're not big users of the blocks anyway, and honestly, I probably wouldn't buy them again. For a family that uses the manipulatives with every lesson though, the completer set might be very, very useful.

HTH,

Tiffany

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I bought my blocks in the days when they were sold in "starter" and "completer" sets (now it's one set). I bought 1 starter and 2 completer sets and have never regretted it. However, I do think every family is different and don't think there is going to be a set answer for what is right for each family. I think your friend needs to look at how much she is using them and then ask herself if it would benefit them to have more blocks than they currently have.

I bought them when I added a second child. If you don't have the $$$, skip it. If you do, it is nice to have.

:iagree:

I don't have the second set and we do fine without it, but there are times I wish I had it.