Menu

Xpost - Looking for vocab. program to start in 7th that will carry through highschool

The cheapest and simplest way is probably just to buy a copy of a SAT prep book that lists all the words a student needs to know. There is a pretty set list that the SAT draws from. She can make sure to learn 10 a week in whatever learning style suits her best. This is how my parents prepared me for the SATs, and it worked.

We've used Wordly Wise 3000, in addition to Vocabulary from the Classical Roots. We usually do one book of each per year.

Wordly Wise goes through quite a bit of the SAT vocabulary. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Wordly-Wise-3000-Grade-Student/dp/0838828280/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_k2a_3_txt?pf_rd_p=304485601&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-2&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0838824250&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1G4KBZ3VBXX9FV43YXQ9

Each book has 20 lessons; each lesson reviews 15 words with a variety of exercises--correct usage of each word; using synonyms, antonyms, and analogies for each word; using the words in a narrative passage; and, a weekly quiz.

I've also heard very good things about Vocabulary for the College-Bound Student:

http://www.amazon.com/Vocabulary-College-Student-Harold-Levine/dp/1567651046/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209863061&sr=1-1

We have not personally used it, but I believe many on these boards have.

A good dictionary and a thesaurus is a must, as well. The vocabulary review helps quite a bit with the PSAT's and SAT's (not sure about ACT's yet, but we have that one coming up here soon! :D )

HTH!

We like the Amsco vocabulary books. My 7th grader started the Scholarship Vocabulary Program this year. There are three books with 15 lessons each. He did all of book one and half of book two this year. Next year he'll do the rest of two and all of three, then in 9th start Vocabulary for the High School Student. That can be followed by Vocabulary for the College Bound Student and then The Joy of Vocabulary. We probably won't get to the last one because we won 't do a whole book each year of high school. This year my 9th grader did about 2/3 of the VFTHSS book. I decided partway through the year that we didn't have to do the whole thing--we could spread it out. http://www.amscopub.com/frameset.htm

Do you know where I could see online samples of Vocabulary for Achievement. I couldn't find any at their website.

Thanks

Hi, I'd be happy to scan a chapter in and email it to you. What grade are you looking for?

Barb

We like the Amsco vocabulary books. My 7th grader started the Scholarship Vocabulary Program this year. There are three books with 15 lessons each. He did all of book one and half of book two this year. Next year he'll do the rest of two and all of three, then in 9th start Vocabulary for the High School Student. That can be followed by Vocabulary for the College Bound Student and then The Joy of Vocabulary. We probably won't get to the last one because we won 't do a whole book each year of high school. This year my 9th grader did about 2/3 of the VFTHSS book. I decided partway through the year that we didn't have to do the whole thing--we could spread it out. http://www.amscopub.com/frameset.htm

Thanks for the link. I could only find the Course 3 from the Scholarship Vocabulary Program. Do you know where I might see online samples?

thanks,

Louise

I couldn't find any online samples. I bought the series because someone on the board recommended it and I've been very happy with the series. Each of the courses follows the same format. The books are little--about 6 x 9 inches and around 150 pages. Each has 15 lessons, with lessons 1-4, 6-9, and 11-14 being new material and lessons 5, 10, and 15 being review and enrichment. Each lesson is broken into about 10 sections, letered A-J. Sections A and D each introduce 10 new words, with the student having the study each word and use it in a sentence. ie "acquit (v.) (I don't know how to type the pronunciation marks--but that's here, too.) free from an accusation; declare innocent; absolve; exonerate

1. In closing, the attorney for the (defense, prosecution) ________________ urged the jury not to acquit the accused."

The student has to choose the correct word to make the sentence make sense. Further sections include work with synonyms, antonyms, analogies, and concise writing.

It looks like Abe Books has the best price. Let me know if you have any other questions.

...someone else mentioned: Vocabulary for the High School Student and Vocab for the College-Bound Student. I have my boys start these in gr 8 and do half a book a year. They do all the exercises, I check them over, and I periodically quiz them on random words. We also didn't care for the VFCR series so switched to these.

...someone else mentioned: Vocabulary for the High School Student and Vocab for the College-Bound Student. I have my boys start these in gr 8 and do half a book a year. They do all the exercises, I check them over, and I periodically quiz them on random words. We also didn't care for the VFCR series so switched to these.

this amsco series is very good. my son is now doing the College Bound book.

Do you think the books is doable for a 7th grader, or would it be best to wait until 8th grade?

Louise