Menu

Comparing and Arranging Commercial Readers by level

mom2bee

Is there an unofficial list floating around on the web, that compares commercial beginning and leveled readers to one another and possibly even orders them?

I have a hard time picking books for my students because they are all on a 1st-2nd grade level but a "Level 2" book in one series is like a "level 4" in another.

I feel that the level of the DK Readers is outrageous. Those things seem like they are more 2nd grade - 5th or something, regardless of what label they bear.

I'm mean something that compares the readers from publishers like;

I Can Read!

DK Beginning to Read,

DK Beginning to Read Alone,

DK Reading Alone,

DK Proficient Readers

Rookie Readers

Reading Station

Read-it! Readers

A Green Light Reader

Step Into Reading

An I Can Read Book

and other such publishers etc?

Is there anything that shows you how each level of reader compares to the next? Hopefully a nice JPEG or PDF file floating around somewhere, *prays*

Ugh. I know what you mean. I had to take my 7 year old to the ...GASP... brick and mortar bookstore so we could actually have her try to read the books when she was at the beginning of 2nd grade. It was very hard to find books for her. I think the MAIN reason is that most commercial readers are NOT phonetically leveled. They are based on those Dolch word lists or something...

I'm so thankful for our A Beka readers during the early reader phases before they can tackle easy chapter books...they are phonetically leveled - praise God!

Ugh. I know what you mean. I had to take my 7 year old to the ...GASP... brick and mortar bookstore so we could actually have her try to read the books when she was at the beginning of 2nd grade. It was very hard to find books for her. I think the MAIN reason is that most commercial readers are NOT phonetically leveled. They are based on those Dolch word lists or something...

Yeah, thats the problem (those darn Dolch Words!!!) but some (many) of these books have more than just those. I go to the library all the time and it takes me ages to get a good group of books, I'm going to have to develop something to use....some sort of rating rubric for these readers....hmmm....

I'm so thankful for our A Beka readers during the early reader phases before they can tackle easy chapter books...they are phonetically leveled - praise God!

I actually bought an A Beka book from the library sale for $.25. Its the one with the frog on the cover...TipToes, I believe...I like it.

This thread is exactly what I've been fuming over the last several weeks! I even asked our librarian for help finding books and she pointed out the Level 1 readers (which are all thrown in together with levels 1-5) should be appropriate. When she pulled out a Level 1 book to show me, the first page was "Hannah was excited." Ummmm, "Hannah"? "excited"? Those are *not* words for beginning readers!!!!

I go to the library all the time and it takes me ages to get a good group of books, I'm going to have to develop something to use....some sort of rating rubric for these readers....hmmm....

Yes! It takes a long time to find a good group of books, and it's near impossible when you have to mind a curious toddler in the library!!!

As for a rating rubric, have you looked at the Lexile measure at this website? Like the PP's link, you can look up the measure of books you've already read to get a feeling of where you are at and other comparable books the library may have. I just started exploring this site last week. It'll take a lot of legwork on the parent's part ...

I am so glad I am not the only one struggling with this...my son is a beginning reader and every book is a different 'level'...even ones that say level one will be more what I would see another books level three or four looking like. And then there are some level one books that are so basic (one or two words per page, etc) and he needs like a level 3 or 4 in those books! GAHH!

Definitely interested to hear what others have found to help!!

ETA! I totally forgot about this link in my bookmarks...this is REALLY helpful in figuring out what 'level' the different scales actually are compared to each other...

http://title1.spps.org/sites/283c935b-2b13-4da8-9fee-f4f5ea72b44d/uploads/TEXT_CORRELATION_CHART.pdf

Edited by nov05mama