Menu

(shhh... math is happening in my living room)

anabelneri

(I'm trying to post quietly so she doesn't notice... my older daughter, who told me just yesterday that she hates math, is sitting on the couch reading the "Murderous Maths: The Essential Arithmetricks" to herself and doing the math. I can hear her adding out loud. Woot! Just had to share.)

Awesome!

I see that your daughter is 7. I have a 7-year-old son who is not in love with math, although he does fine at it. However, he adores reading and loves the Horrible Histories books, which the Murderous Maths books remind me of. I thought they were for older children, but if your daughter is enjoying it maybe we should give one a try. Off to order The Awesome Arithmetricks.

Awesome!

I see that your daughter is 7. I have a 7-year-old son who is not in love with math, although he does fine at it. However, he adores reading and loves the Horrible Histories books, which the Murderous Maths books remind me of. I thought they were for older children, but if your daughter is enjoying it maybe we should give one a try. Off to order The Awesome Arithmetricks.

My daughter doesn't shine at math, but like your son does fine at it. She's a pretty good reader, though.

It took about a month of the book just laying around the living room for her to pick it up. I didn't draw attention to it, but that interesting red cover eventually did it's job. :D Good luck with it!

What kind of math should the child know in order to solve the problems in the book? Would a child who is working on Singapore 2 or MM 2-3 be frustrated with the book?

Sweetie is doing MEP year 2, and at this point she adds and subtracts 2- and some 3- digit numbers in her head (slowly, but mostly successfully), and we've started multiplication and division. I don't know how far she'll go in the book, but looking through it she can probably handle most of it (though some would be challenging) until partway through the multiplication chapter. It explains multidigit multiplication, but I'm not sure if she'd get the long division in the division chapter.

I don't know if that helps at all; maybe someone with more experience will pipe in with insight.

:)