Menu

Early college?

My ds will be in 9th this next year and I am considering sending him to the community college for one class. The plan is to let him take one or 2 classes every semester until he gets his Associates, at which point he can transfer to a 4-year university. I read somewhere that if he has an Associates than it generally doesn't matter what his high school transcript / SAT looks like.

Has any one else considered or went this route with a high schooler? I'm looking for pros and cons for things that I haven't considered.

I know there have been discussions on the board about college classes for much younger kids. You might want to search "community college" on the board search (or maybe somebody else has a link to the discussions?).

Many community colleges only allow kids 16 and up to enroll, and some classes aren't appropriate for younger kids (depending on subject matter, which can be too advanced socially, and the composition of the class, ditto).

Just FYI, my husband teaches AP physics (college level class) to high school seniors, and he's opposed to having ninth graders in the classes, as they are too young academically and socially to really get everything out of the class that they can. If they wait even until junior year, their greater maturity allows them to have a much richer experience.

Thanks. Our CC takes students as young as 14. I am waiting until my son turns 15 and he'll probably take the classes online for the first year.

About your husband - When I was in 7th I went to a 7-12th school. The counselors decided to move me to higher mathematics course and the teacher resented me so much for being in there with the older students. It was the school administrators choice, not mine. Every day I was verbally attacked by the teacher to the point where I just skipped the class and failed. It was such an awful experience. I hope your husband-teacher understands that sometimes it isn't the student's fault for being in his class even if he doesn't want them there.

Edited by jadedone80

I posted on the General Board question, but here's a link to a thread detailing some of the pros and cons of counting cc courses for college credit:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219694

Many of us use cc courses for high school credit to get in to college. It's not required, but it definitely helps in certain situations.

Just FYI, my husband teaches AP physics (college level class) to high school seniors, and he's opposed to having ninth graders in the classes, as they are too young academically and socially to really get everything out of the class that they can. If they wait even until junior year, their greater maturity allows them to have a much richer experience.

I would say that a lot depends on the individual student. The strongest student in my college physics class this year is a 13 year old .

Generally, I would carefully research the quality of the CC. Just because it is called college, that does not mean that the course is academically rigorous.

Another aspect that has been mentioned is financial aid at a 4 year institution which is often not available to transfer students.

I like college classes just fine for the academics of high school, but not necessarily with the goal of acquiring and transferring credit.

Edited by regentrude

You have to consider where dc is going to college b/c many 4 yr. private colleges wont take transfer units.

Its okay to cc for high school classes, but once it changes over you have to make sure all those credits are transferable.

I hope your husband-teacher understands that sometimes it isn't the student's fault for being in his class even if he doesn't want them there.

Absolutely! I am so sorry that happened to you. It wasn't right and was terribly hurtful. Completely unacceptable.

My husband welcomes every student and makes each student a part of the classroom community. He does not tolerate any put-downs of any kind. Ever.

I think I should explain my comment. What I meant was that there is a huge age gap, and that the older students relate to each other in a very different way than kids four years younger relate to each other. In a class with much older students, the younger one is more like a younger sibling than a peer. This may be different in a CC class.

It is rare that younger students are eligible for AP physics, because they have to pass the prerequisite, the freshman physics final.

For these two reasons, when my husband meets with parents and students for planning, he advises waiting (he told me that "opposed" was too strong a word for his advice).

It sounds like you have some very nice options for your son. Good luck!

Edited by Hilary in MI
typo