Menu

Heart of Dakota Bigger

mytwomonkeys

i have been seeing HOD pop up a lot & i really liked the idea of being able to use it with both of my kids. ...so I've been looking at it, joined the yahoo group, lurking on the HOD forums, and i've decided to take the plunge & purchase it for our curriculum next year (i actually have purchased everything but the ext. pack). my son will be 7 1/2 when we start it in the fall & my dd will be almost 10 (in oct). i will also buy the extension pack for her.

have any of you actually used the bigger program? what are your thoughts? i suppose i should have asked this before i bought it...but i was impulsive & fairly sure it would be a good fit. it looks great, but i would love to hear feedback from actual users that have been though Bigger or are using it currently. also, i plan to use CLE LA with my son & BJU english with my daughter. they will both use CLE math. will this still work with HOD?

TIA!

Well, I can't answer your question but just thought I'd chime in and say that I can't wait to purchase it. I am convinced after looking over at the the program and reading the forum threads that it will be a great fit for us too. I too will be getting Bigger with the extension pk. I have a ds9 and ds10. I may use the Emerging reader for ds9 since he is having trouble reading. I like the way the program introduces books that progress in difficulty. I have a hard time personally trying to see what grade level a book is on. I plan to use R&S for Grammar that the author recommends but MM for math. She recommends Singapore. I'm not sure yet if I will get the science pack. We've used Christian Kids this year and we all enjoyed that. Oh I will also be getting their reading program DITHOR.

I am using Bigger this year with my 9 yr. old. We have been really happy with it. I am amazed how he has applied what he is learning to other areas of his life. He loves the books we are using. It's all been a good fit for us and we are planning to continue on with Preparing.

We are using Beyond right now, and I have purchased most of Bigger for next year. I'm supper excited about it! You should be just fine using a different math. Bigger has hands on scheduled for SM 2a/2b, but my ds will be using the schedule for 3a/3b in the back.

I used Bigger with my boys a few years ago. We have such fond memories of it. They used different grammar and math and it was not a problem at all. We did use, and are still using, HOD dictation. It is fantastic!

My daughter is finishing up Beyond now and will probably use Bigger next year. She will use HOD Language Arts, but a different math.

We have used, or are currently using, every HOD guide, except Little Hands, and have enjoyed them all. The guides are so complete. I hope you enjoy Bigger.:)

Allison