Menu

Feeling like a literary analysis failure.....

My dd's have both finished reading Frankenstein and I gave them a list of topics to write on this week. My 10th grade dd wrote a decent essay on how the monster is a foil for Frankenstein but we are having difficulty with the conclusion. I am not very good at writing and am having a hard time helping her. Does anyone have some recommendations on how to write the conclusions to these things? She really wants to study English at college so she needs to get proficient at this type of writing. Also going forward what are some resources we could use to teach this type of writing?

Thanks for any help you can give a chemist who would rather write a good lab report any day!

I'm all ears!

I somehow dropped literary analysis by the wayside with my 9th grader....forgot all about it somewhere around the 4th grade. This year, I've started taking him through this: http://www.clp.org/product/perspectives_of_life_in_literature_textbook_1723

We're using it as a 2 year curriculum. It covers quite a bit and we're using it as a full language arts program. I'm not sure if this is what it's intended to be, but it's working for us for now.

Does anyone have some recommendations on how to write the conclusions to these things? ... Thanks for any help you can give a chemist who would rather write a good lab report any day!

Pretty much like the conclusion to a lab report: sum up the findings and add a statement of what it overall means, why it's important, or what "big idea" that all leads to. ;)

Without seeing the paper and what literary elements, examples, and detail, it sounds like in this specific case she could sum up the things that worked to make the monster a foil character and then a statement of what that lead her to conclude about the characters or the book as a whole -- perhaps it might work it include a line from Frankenstein's final words at the end of the book.

Hope that's a starting point, at any rate. :) Warmly, Lori D.