Menu

Narrowing down American Literature reading for soon to be 11th grader....

I have way to many books that I think my son would enjoy for American Literature(I literally have pages and pages). So I need to narrow the list down. What are your not to miss books from each of these authors?

William Faulkner

John Steinbeck

James Fenimore Cooper

Ernest Hemingway

William Golding

Washington Irving

Nathanial Hawthorne

Thanks

I honestly don't think most high schoolers read Faulkner novels--they may read a short story, like A Rose for Emily, or The Bear. His novels are pretty dense (though I like them). I think you can safely read excerpts of Fenimore Cooper. He's not known for his excellent prose style! But he's important historically. Hawthorne's classic is The Scarlet Letter, of course, and I think I would pick The Old Man and the Sea for Hemingway. I'm not a Steinbeck fan and have only read The Grapes of Wrath. He has a lot of good short stories, though! I'm actually going to tackle East of Eden this summer to see if we'll add that to the 20th C lit class I'm teaching next year. If I'm not mistaken, William Golding is British, so you're off the hook there :). (He wrote Lord of the Flies). With Irving, I would do a short story, and maybe a poem--Sleepy Hollow?

I'd just add that my absolute favorites from this past year with our ds have been The Scarlett Letter - Hawthorne

Huckleberry Finn - Twaine...a must for boys, don't miss it.

Anything by Poe, if you can get the audio cd's of the short stories by Blackstone, they are a blast to listen to.

Rip Van Winkle and the Legend of Sleep Hollow by Irving....very fast reads but so fun

We didn't get to To Kill a Mockingbird, but I'm going to have him read it this summer

HAve fun!