Menu

MFW & Notgrass

I really want to start my DD high school year (9th grade) with MFW World History instead of the Ancient History. Ancient History is not really part of a college prep program and I want to include other things in her Senior year. So in essence I would do a 3 year curriculum with MFW - 9th, 10th, and 11th grade. Here is my problem. Notgrass which is part of the MFW WHL program is designed to be a 2 year study started in AHL (which I don't plan to do). I can follow Notgrass' schedule to complete their curriculum in one year but how would that affect MFW's lesson plans that I am attempting to follow:glare:? What to take out and what to include from MFW plans since my schedule would be modified? Anyone been in a similar situation?

I know I can figure it all out once I get my hands on the curriculum at a convention but was hoping to get insight for someone who has been there done that.

Also I'm new to this forum how do you get your signature with all the curriculum you use and children being taught? Is that what is considered a tag?:confused:

I'm considering MFW for high school, too. If you decide to to Notgrass in a year, instead of spreading it over two like MFW does, you might run into problems with the literature not lining up with the history period you're studying. Would that bother you?

Wendi

Also I'm new to this forum how do you get your signature with all the curriculum you use and children being taught? Is that what is considered a tag?:confused:

No, that is not a tag. I don't have a personalized signature, but I think this is how it is done ....

Click on User Control Panel on the upper left hand side of the screen in the dark blue band.

Click on Edit Signature which will open up a text box. Enter information and see what happens!

Regards,

Kareni

I really want to start my DD high school year (9th grade) with MFW World History instead of the Ancient History. Ancient History is not really part of a college prep program and I want to include other things in her Senior year. So in essence I would do a 3 year curriculum with MFW - 9th, 10th, and 11th grade. Here is my problem. Notgrass which is part of the MFW WHL program is designed to be a 2 year study started in AHL (which I don't plan to do). I can follow Notgrass' schedule to complete their curriculum in one year but how would that affect MFW's lesson plans that I am attempting to follow:glare:? What to take out and what to include from MFW plans since my schedule would be modified? Anyone been in a similar situation?

I know I can figure it all out once I get my hands on the curriculum at a convention but was hoping to get insight for someone who has been there done that.

One thing I feel I need to mention: Ancient History IS a part of many college prep programs! MFW is considered a college prep curriculum. It may not be a part of what YOU want for your dd, but is not fair to say it's not part of college prep! :tongue_smilie: :001_smile: Okay, just had to say that.

If you get just Notgrass for History, without the MFW materials, is it still a 2-year program? Since I have the MFW, I'm not sure how Notgrass works on it's own.

It seems that it would be hard to take some stuff out to make it one year's worth, and have everything line up. But you could just start with Year Two. It wouldn't be ideal, since she hasn't been introduced to the format of how MFW works, and had the of training for writing and the research, etc. HOWEVER, I'm sure there are some people who have started with Year 2 and made it okay.

Yeah, I guess I'm not being very helpful, cuz I really don't know! :001_huh::001_smile:

My two oldest started MFW with the high school Year 2 and had no problems. We had covered ancient history with a different curriculum before discovering MFW. My kids had no trouble picking up in the middle of Notgrass. I'm sure it wasn't ideal but it didn't even seem to phase them so I know it would work out just fine :)

I agree with Brindee that there is no reason that Ancient History can't be part of a college prep program :)

I looked into AHL for 9th grade, and it looked like they only covered the first 5 weeks (or so) of Notgrass. Do you think you could do those in the summer? Then you could just follow the WHL program as written.

Just a thought...

I agree that the amount of Notgrass that you want to "make up" is not all that much, so you could fit it in somehow. Maybe even eliminate one piece of literature or one writing project in WHL (especially for a 9th grader)?

The thing I'd miss the most is the entire Old Testament and the various apologetics components that are explored in AHL. Also, AHL seems like a gentler intro to high school literature and writing for a 9th grader? But I haven't used WHL yet.

Julie

Everyone makes such great points. Thanks!

I didn't think about the literature not lining up to the points in History that I may be studying. It is so hard to evaluate without having both curriculum in my hands to contrast and compare.

Brindee, I appreciate your comments regarding AHL being part of a college prep curriculum. I guess what I meant was in my state it is not part of the advanced diploma tract that students follow for college. And if I start with AHL I won't be able to do all that is required in my state for graduation and do a lot of the "extra" things I know my DD wants to explore in high school in 4 years. There was another great comment regarding preparation for WHL without ever being exposed to some of the things that AHL introduces. My daughter is currently in Classical Conversations where apologetics, literature, and IEW writing is heavily emphasized so I think she will do okay starting at the WHL level.

Bottom line .... I need to get everything in my hands so I'll have a better idea of how things will flow. Everyone's input has been invaluable. Thanks!

Sherri

I still can't get the signature block worked out I get an "error" message so I'll keep working on that so I can contribute here regularly.

Sherri,

I'm not sure what state you are in. Have you looked at MFW's 4 year college prep planning guide?

http://www.mfwbooks.com/category/M50/50

Maybe things fit more than you realize? They include a plan for CLEP with US history. They include Economics, Government, Speech (the speech is part of year 4).

no matter what you decide to use for history, etc...

I would really start with a rough draft of a 4 year plan and make plans from there.

for what it is worth, here is MFW's statement on doing ancients in high school:

Why Ancient History and Literature in high school?

While reviewing the sequence of the high school program you may be asking, "Can my student skip Ancient History and Literature since it is not a state requirement for graduation?" Though not state-required, My Father's World believes Ancient History and Literature is critical to a Biblical scope and sequence for high school. This program provides high school students with a solid foundation in Bible that includes reading the entire Old Testament. Integrating Old Testament readings with the study of ancient cultures and literature meets the greater goal of educating children with solid Christian beliefs, while achieving strong academic goals. Ancient History and Literature helps high school students embrace a strong Biblical worldview by developing analytical skills and spiritual maturity. Students will be faced with many thought-provoking life issues including, "Will I live for my pleasure, or will I live for God's glory?" Ancient History and Literature is important for all high school students, even those who have recently studied this time period. Don't miss this great opportunity to give your children more of God's heart for His people and His creation while preparing them for college or a career.

-crystal

I still can't get the signature block worked out I get an "error" message so I'll keep working on that so I can contribute here regularly.

I tested the method that I proposed earlier and it does work. It just take a while (a day or two) before the new signature information shows up.

Regards,

Kareni