Menu

Could someone help me outline a section from KF?

I just got a copy of the white KF Illustrated History of the World, 1992.

My ds, 12 & 14, have been working with IEW kwo and they have finished the Remedia outlining book.

I want them to start outlining to two levels with the KF. We are at the section on North America pg 614. I'm frustrated, tired, and worn out. I cannot for the life of me, outline this page.:001_huh:

Anyone want to offer one I can work from with them, please? I just can't wrap my head around this right now and I want them to do this page tomorrow.

Thank you for any help or insight you can offer.

Kim

Thanks for the offer! No need to go to the library. Here you go!

North America

After the civil war, the land west of the Mississippi River was steadily settled by white Americans. The gold rush of 1848-1849 had already brought thousands to California hoping to find gold.

The government encouraged prople to migrate westward. Under the Homestead Act of 1862, a family could have 160 acreas for a small fee, provided they did not sell the land for five years. More land was given to those who made improvements by drilling wells or planting trees. The Act encouraged farmers to move into the Great Plains.

The government also encouraged the building of railroads, which carried people into unsettled regions. It gave land th the railroads so generously that many lines were built just to gain land.

By 1900, the US was already producing more food than it needed. Industry and business developed rapidly, making the United States the richest country in the world. It produced and traded more goods than any other. It also began to play a larger part in world affairs.

Poor Europeans saw the US as a land of freedom, democracy, and riches. Not everyone grew rich, however. The Native Americans lost land to settlers. Workers in the booming cities were not much better off than industrial workers in Europe. Black Americans especially, had little chance of improving their lives.

I start by asking myself SWB's questions:

What is the main thing or person that the paragraph is about?

Why is that thing or person important?

What additional info does the paragraph give me about the main point?

I. People encouraged to go westward

A. 160 acres could be bought for a small fee (Homestead Act)

B. More land given for improvements

II. Gov't encouraged the building of railroads

A. Railroads carried people to new lands

B. Railroads built just to gain the land

III. The US is now the richest country in the world

A. Surplus of food

B. Traded with other countries

C. Industry and businesses developed quickly

IV. US is not a land of freedom, riches, and democracy for everyone

A. City workers not better off than European industrial workers

B. Native Americans lost their land

C. Black Americans could not improve their lives

Ok, that was a quick rundown while making dinner. I'll have to read it again and re-think later.

Edited by Capt_Uhura

I know folks like the white kingfisher for outlining but I find it just has difficult as the red one. Nearly every sentence is important. I"ll take a look again later or tomorrow and see if I would change anything on the outline.

I made an edit to my outline.

you're welcome!

Edited by Capt_Uhura

Kingfisher is accessible and affordable for the purpose of outlining whereas K12 and the Oxford books may not be if you are not using them as a spine. Kingfisher is a good place to start for key word outlines or one-level outlines. The reason the op may have had a hard time with the initial outline is that like another poster pointed out, Kingfisher is already almost written in an outline format. K12 and Oxford are better for students who are ready for more advanced outlining or note taking. Another option is that most libraries carry Lucent World History Series. They are well-written books for middle school where sections are about the right size. Books for a major area of interest for a student can be purchased inexpensively from alibris.

I was curious how different my outline would look. I tried not to look at the other one too much.

The US expands

I. Gold Rush brought thousands to California

II. West of Mississippi settled after Civil War

III. Government encouraged westward movement and development

A. Homestead Act

1. 160 acres

2. Stay on homestead for five year

B. Encouraged railroads for transportation

IV. Growing prosperity and influence – 1900

A. Food exports

B. Rise of industry and trade

C. US becomes richest country in the world – larger influence in world affairs

V. Welcome changes?

A. US prosperity attracted immigrants from around the world

B. Native Americans lost their homelands

C. Workers in cities still had hard lives

D. Blacks were still restricted in ability to improve their lives

If I were going to use this to write my own paragraphs, I would be tempted to put points I, II & III all under one larger point and similarly put IV & V under a common heading.

Hmm, can't get the proper indents to show once I hit post. Hope it's readable anyway