Menu

What type of computer to buy?

Sun

We need a new computer for ds. I'm thinking it will be a desktop, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you think a laptop would be better. Because ds wants to learn to program, it can't be a Mac. We have a monitor that we can use, so I'd ideally like to just buy the computer part. I have had three bad experiences with Dell, so it will not be a Dell.

What would you recommend? What brands have you liked (or not liked)?

Where would you suggest I look? (Online places would be great!)

What else do I need to think about?

Thank you!

Edited by Sun

Unless you need portability, I would not go with a laptop. They simply don't last as long as a desktop (run hotter, easier to mess up the hard drive, etc). If you have the space get a desktop.

We've had mixed results with HP, Dell was fantastic - DH's box is still functioning 12 years later. That's unheard of.

My advice, figure out what features you need based upon what you intend to do with the box. Video editing? MS Office? A billion software programs? When you determine this, you can then rightsize and get the best fit for you. The desktop that 'does it all' that costs an arm and a leg may not be for you. Perhaps all you need is an older CPU to play around on if all you intend to do is 'learn to program' - though that statement is very broad - there are many different languages which would tweak your needs slightly.'

Hope this helps somewhat.

Margaret

, Dell was fantastic - DH's box is still functioning 12 years later. That's unheard of.

I agree with the laptop vs. desktop, but am curious as to what others comments will be.

We have 2 Dell laptops that we purchased for our dd's for college but have had problems with the both of them. They were ok for the first year, but this past year has been bad. We are considering getting new laptops for both of them this Christmas instead of continuing to put more money in them.

I'm all ears for others comments. :bigear:

I agree with the laptop vs. desktop, but am curious as to what others comments will be.

We have 2 Dell laptops that we purchased for our dd's for college but have had problems with the both of them. They were ok for the first year, but this past year has been bad. We are considering getting new laptops for both of them this Christmas instead of continuing to put more money in them.

I'm all ears for others comments. :bigear:

Two out of three HP boxes died after two years. The Dell was most likely an anomaly OR Dell has reduced their performance specs to be more in line with HP (and others I'm sure) - die after two years. Of course there are many variables - use of a proper surge protector, length of use, type of use, proper maintenance.... Three years is probably the most you can hope from a box without making major repairs; 1.5 years for a laptop. That's another reason I prefer desktops. They are easier to open up and repair and swap out parts. Laptops are trickier; everything is smaller and tighter.

Our bad experiences with Dell were laptops that developed significant issues after a year or year and a half. Our previous Dell desk computer was always very slow, but perhaps that was because of its age (now 6 years old).

Does anyone have a brand they'd recommend besides Dell because I really don't want another Dell. It sounds like HP is also problematic. Are there any that are good? Is Gateway still around? Sony?

For us to be able to run several programs at once (multiple web pages open, plus mail and possibly Acrobat or Word), what kind of memory do we need?

What do I look for to be sure that we get a faster computer? I have a Macbook that I love because it's so fast, even after two years. What do I need to look for in a PC for speed?

Thanks!