Menu

Singapore...grade level seems advanced??

tiffanieh

Math has always been my struggle in trying to find the perfect curriculum. It just doesn't exist.

We've tried Saxon (TOOO spiral), Abeka (weak on word problems, too rote), MUS (which we are currently doing and I just feel like we are missing out on a total math outlook when we do mastery this way)... I'm just not feeling confident in any math program right now.

I've been on the Singapore website and looking at the placement tests my son, who will be in 4th grade next year, would actually place at 2A simply because we haven't done mental math, and especially the word problems would stump him. There are parts of 3A that I know he would get perfectly, but I'm fearful of jumping ahead and not getting some fundamentals that 2A would provide.

BUT...will we ever catch up starting two years behind. I hate playing the catch up game, which we seem to be doing a lot of whenever I switch curriculums.

Thank you!!!

If he's already got parts of the skills, you can probably do 2A/2B pretty quickly and move ahead into 3A/3B. Singapore is great for this purpose-if he's got a section pretty solid, you can go to the review, make sure he's in good shape, and move on. You may even find you'll be able to compact parts of 3A/3B.

Okay, so would what would I need to purchase? US? Standards? Workbook? Textbook? Teachers Manual?

Thank you thank you thank you so much for answering my questions. I know some of these questions get asked time and again, and I'm sooooo appreciative to this board. I have learned so much in my short time here!!!

And one other question...should I bite the bullet and buy it now, or just go ahead and finish our current curriculum and start fresh perhaps over the summer time? I do want my son to feel "accomplished" for finishing his current program, we've bailed on too many of them half way through. Luckily he has been VERY adaptable and we've had NO tears, mainly laughter over "silly mommy...another new math program?" Thank goodness for the sweetness of this child, his brother...wouldn't have been so gracious! LOL

Okay, so would what would I need to purchase? US? Standards? Workbook? Textbook? Teachers Manual?

I like Standards better than US. It has more review and includes some additional topics. You need the textbook and workbook for each level. The Home Instructor's Guide is good and sounds like it'll help you with explanations and additional suggestions. (Do NOT get the Teacher's Manual - the HiG is all you'll need.)

As for extra books, the Extra Practice is at the same level as the workbook problems. Intensive Practice is more challenging than the workbook (sometimes by quite a lot). It's only available for US but I use it with Standards - just takes matching up sections. Challenging Word Problems will be good to include since you see a need for word problems.

I'd suggest using the placement tests, then using the text, wb, HiG, and CWP.

I just switched to Singapore, so I've done tons of reading on these forums on what to get. I suggest the Standards Edition. Then I'd get the Textbook, Workbook, Home Instructors Guide, Intensive Practice and the Challenging Word Problems. There were some people that don't use the HIGs, but now that I have it, it definitely is an essential piece to have, in my opinion.

It does look ahead of other math programs. We're going to be learning multiplication and division basics this spring (in 1B), which I was a little surprised to find out, but I'm totally okay with that.

I would follow the placement tests, but I am going to go against the grain and say for the first book or two you could probably get by with just the text. I would guess that would be enough to get through levels 2A and 2B. If you feel like you need the HIG then get that too, but I don't think you'll need the whole shebang for level 2.

It should go quickly, and I wouldn't be afraid to skip chapters if it seems to be a skill he has under control. If you just kept at it I bet you can get through 2 and 3 and at least be started on 4A by the end of 4th grade.

If it is a program that really works, it is better to be a little behind and know it then to skip ahead and have some of it shaky.

I wouldn't be afraid to skip chapters if it seems to be a skill he has under control.

:iagree:As Singapore is a "soft spiral" program and reviews from year to year, it's easy to condense by skipping chapters that you know will be touched upon later. For example, perimeter & area are covered in both 3B and 4A. You could easily do both at once.