Menu

Flashcards for history study (VP, Barron's, others?)

Greta

I know these are meant for high school students taking the AP world history course, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Barron's world history flashcards, and if you think they might be useful for the middle school years? The price is so good (only $13 for more than 400 cards covering "time immemorial" to the present day!), that it seems we could at least get our money's worth out of them, even if they weren't exactly what we were looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/Barrons-World-History-Flash-Cards/dp/0764162632

What prompted this is that I was looking at the Veritas Press history flashcards to use with The Core and the CC Foundations guide. But these are $20 per set, and I know there are at least four sets that you would need to cover all of history (maybe more?). The website does not say how many cards are in a set. And it gives annoyingly little information about a relatively expensive product. I'm going to need to know more before I give this option serious consideration. It does not even show an example of one card! Would someone who owns them be kind enough to just pick out one card and tell me what is on the front and the back as an example, so I would know what I'd be getting? I'd be most appreciative!

And if anyone can recommend other options, I'd be grateful. I was planning on printing the SOTW-coordinated cards from Hannah's homeschool helps and then cutting and laminating them. But by the time I did all that, I know I would have spent far more than $13. So I'm seriously considering the Barron's set. My only concern with those is that they will be too advanced for a middle schooler.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

ETA: In case anyone is interested, I just found that Princeton Review makes a set of flashcards for the AP World History exam too. You can view a sample of them here: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Essential-AP-World-History/Princeton-Review/e/9780375428029/?itm=1&USRI=world+history+flashcards

Edited by GretaLynne

There are 5 sets of cards, 32 cards in each set, for a total of 160. There is a picture and the title of the card on the front (and scripture reference if applicable). On the back, it gives the year(s) for the event, a few paragraphs summarizing the event and then a reference list at the bottom for further reading. They really are wonderful cards. We first bought them to use with CC, but my kids loved them so much that we quit CC and bought the Veritas Press teacher manual and are using them as our core for history now.

There are 5 sets of cards, 32 cards in each set, for a total of 160. There is a picture and the title of the card on the front (and scripture reference if applicable). On the back, it gives the year(s) for the event, a few paragraphs summarizing the event and then a reference list at the bottom for further reading. They really are wonderful cards. We first bought them to use with CC, but my kids loved them so much that we quit CC and bought the Veritas Press teacher manual and are using them as our core for history now.

They do sound really nice! Thank you for describing them better than their website does! :D I'm still not sure that I can afford them, but it's good to know that you found them so helpful.

Now I'm also curious - what kind of info is in the TM?

You need 5 sets.. ($100)

Aha, thanks.

but I am VERY interested in these you've found!!

:)

I just googled "history flashcards" and there they were. I wish I could see a picture/example of one, though. Edited by GretaLynne

Since these are aimed at AP US history students, I would think that they would be too advanced for middle school.

(Sigh.) Yeah, that's my concern exactly.

I printed, cut, laminated the ones for HHH and I LOVE them. I am so glad that I spent the time to do that. They also make a nice little hang up time line!
This is exactly what I was planning to do before I saw the Barron's ones. Do you own your own laminator or did you have it done at Staples/Kinko's, etc? I had a few things laminated at Staples once and it was quite expensive. Just curious about the most cost effective way to do that.

ETA: But my other concern with the ones from HHH is that, if the Barron's ones are too advanced for middle school, wouldn't ones based on SOTW be too simple for middle school?

I don't think they would be too low. They are just little snippets (not as in-depth as the varitas press cards). I don't think you could actually "teach" the history from the cards, like I think you can with the VP ones, but they are great for review for the students. Also, there is a blank template, so you can make any others you want.

What is HHH? I would love to buy some Timeline cards.

Hannah's Homeschool Helps is a yahoo group where lots of neat stuff is provided for free in the file section. You can just download her history cards, and then print them and laminate them. They are pretty cool, especially for a free resource!!!

I don't think they would be too low. They are just little snippets (not as in-depth as the varitas press cards). I don't think you could actually "teach" the history from the cards, like I think you can with the VP ones, but they are great for review for the students. Also, there is a blank template, so you can make any others you want.

Okay, good to know. Thank you!

Hannah's Homeschool Helps is a yahoo group where lots of neat stuff is provided for free in the file section. You can just download her history cards, and then print them and laminate them. They are pretty cool, especially for a free resource!!!

I can't find any cards for SOTW 3 on the yahoo site unless I'm looking in the wrong place.:glare:

Did you ever buy Living Memory? I bought it last week and it is a terrific resource.

Paula

I can't find any cards for SOTW 3 on the yahoo site unless I'm looking in the wrong place.:glare:

In the files section, under History, it is the fifth item down. It has a complicated name: Early Modern Times Memory Cards and Timeline Pictures. I would have missed it too, but the description does say that it goes with SOTW3.

Did you ever buy Living Memory? I bought it last week and it is a terrific resource.

Paula

Not yet. One of the kind ladies on the boards here offered me a really good deal on a used copy of CC Foundations. So I felt like I should jump on that while I had the chance. Living Memory and some history cards are next on my list! I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it! :001_smile:

Heather (or anyone), on that lovely blog, she makes reference to cutting the VP cards. So the cards do not come pre-cut? Are they printed on nice quality card stock? Are the images high quality? At $20 for 32 cards, I'm expecting to be impressed. :D Will I be?

I'm sorry to sound like such a cheapskate, but we have a leaking roof that is going to cost us $16,000 to fix, and we just found out that we owe an additional $6000 in taxes this year, and this is after my hubby was informed at Christmas that there will be no raises for the next three years. :crying: I have to make every penny count. My homeschool budget wasn't much to begin with, and it just got smaller. There's no doubt that the VP cards are more impressive, and probably more age-appropriate than the Barron's cards. I just have to make sure the tremendous price difference is really worth it. Sorry to sound so negative.