Menu

Political Thrillers! Need suggestions for ds(15)- he's read all of Rosenbergs and

some LaHaye. The big thing is that they need to be CLEAN and not filled with profanity. Anything come to mind??? TIA

T. Davis Bunn wrote a couple that I enjoyed.

Not political, but W. E. B. Griffen's Brotherhood of War series is one I remember fondly from college. Dh and I were discussing giving them to our kids, but I haven't re-read them in years.

Books by Drury and by Uris come to mind.

They are older, and so they are cleaner than most of what you find being written now. Whether they are 'clean' by your standards, I am not sure. They were written for grownups during the 60's, so they seem pretty clean but not without allusion to me.

The first Drury book to read is Advise and Consent. I believe that his major series has 5 books in it. The last two are alternative endings to the one immediately before them--a very interesting conjecture on the power of one view of history. They take place during the Cold War.

The books by Leon Uris mostly take place during WWII and its aftermath. The earlier ones are definitely cleaner than the rest. Exodus is the one to start with. It is about the founding of the modern state of Israel. Like a Michener book, it goes back and forth in time a great deal, and covers the background of what it is portraying primarily. There are a lot of very disturbing descriptions of the Holocaust in his books, but they are not horribly gory (just horrible in event, which is bad enough). A later book, Topaz, is considerably more 'adult' than his others--it's set later in time as well. You might want to avoid that one.

I read all these while I was in high school.