Menu

Question about multi-level use of TOG

MominIN

I am a Sonlight user and I love it, but as I look to the future I am looking at doing 3 or 4 cores at a time. I see everyone recommending TOG for large families and I sincerely don't understand. If I am using completely different books for each of the 3 or 4 levels, how is that any different than using three or four cores? How does it make it easier for large families? Please help me understand! Thanks!

Yes.

But, I guess I don't understand what the benefit of studying the same time period is, if they are still doing completely different work. How does studying the same time period help me? I'm sure there's a simple answer, but I truly do not understand how it's any easier on the teacher.

It's certainly doable to use as many cores as you have children, that's how most subjects approached. It's more about making my life easier, as a teacher I think it helps to be focused on one time period. Students are not usually doing completely different work. This week we are all studying the Persians. My multi-level children will sometimes sit in on read alouds and discussions pertaining to another level which helps their understanding. They can go to each other with questions. Then there's field trips, projects, movies, etc.

It's certainly doable to use as many cores as you have children, that's how most subjects approached. It's more about making my life easier, as a teacher I think it helps to be focused on one time period. Students are not usually doing completely different work. This week we are all studying the Persians. My multi-level children will sometimes sit in on read alouds and discussions pertaining to another level which helps their understanding. They can go to each other with questions. Then there's field trips, projects, movies, etc.

:iagree:And I combine readings depending on their levels. I only prepare for one subject, instead of 4 different discussions. It is actually for MY benefit. I do not feel as spread thin or bogged down by multiple topics. It streamlines it for us.

I really like SL and use many of the books, but TOG allows me tto take my children deeper than we could go with SL alone.

Here's how the different levels in TOG weave together in our home.

I have 5 dc at home doing TOG, 1 LG, 1 UG, 2 D, 1 R

Rhetoric ds16 is on his own.

Dialectic ds13 is on his own and very capable.

Dialectic ds11 is dyslexic. I read with him. Ds13 does mapwork and timeline with ds11. They work on it together and this saves me time. Ds11 could not accomplish this on his own.

We have a TOG co-op so history discussions are done there. However, if we were on our own, I would be prepared for the D discussions just by preparing for the R discussions.

dd9 is UG. If she asks me a question from her reading, I already know the answer b/c I have read ds11's books with him.

dd7 is LG - I have dd9 read some things aloud to her. This is my sneaky way of hearing dd9 read aloud without her knowing that's what I'm doing. She thinks she's helping me.

Again, we have a TOG co-op where the girls do hands-on projects. If we were completely on our own at home, these two could do mapwork and hands-on projects together.

I read aloud the recommended "family read aloud" to ds11, dd9, and dd7. My dh reads aloud the church history to ds11 , ds13, and ds16.

Many times we rent movies to enhance our study. The whole family enjoys them because we are all studying the same thing.

We are also all ready to go see the same museum exhibits or historical attractions. TOG unifies our purpose, our interests, and our conversations.

Here's how the different levels in TOG weave together in our home.

I have 5 dc at home doing TOG, 1 LG, 1 UG, 2 D, 1 R

Rhetoric ds16 is on his own.

Dialectic ds13 is on his own and very capable.

Dialectic ds11 is dyslexic. I read with him. Ds13 does mapwork and timeline with ds11. They work on it together and this saves me time. Ds11 could not accomplish this on his own.

We have a TOG co-op so history discussions are done there. However, if we were on our own, I would be prepared for the D discussions just by preparing for the R discussions.

dd9 is UG. If she asks me a question from her reading, I already know the answer b/c I have read ds11's books with him.

dd7 is LG - I have dd9 read some things aloud to her. This is my sneaky way of hearing dd9 read aloud without her knowing that's what I'm doing. She thinks she's helping me.

Again, we have a TOG co-op where the girls do hands-on projects. If we were completely on our own at home, these two could do mapwork and hands-on projects together.

I read aloud the recommended "family read aloud" to ds11, dd9, and dd7. My dh reads aloud the church history to ds11 , ds13, and ds16.

Many times we rent movies to enhance our study. The whole family enjoys them because we are all studying the same thing.

We are also all ready to go see the same museum exhibits or historical attractions. TOG unifies our purpose, our interests, and our conversations.

Sounds lovely! :001_wub:

:iagree: Expanding on what Karen said, I would like to bring up these two points:

a) The teacher does not have to switch gears between time periods and parts of the world.

b) The teacher only has to read one set of notes and then implement depending on each child's level vs. having to read 3 or 4 different types on notes, which you would still have to adjust to the child's level since SL's Cores cover a certain age range and so your focus on Core K with a 5 year old for example will not be the same as using Core K with a 7-8 year old.

TOG also choose books at the UG and up level to be read independently by the child, instead of waiting till core 100 for the child to read on their own.

The mapping would be the same for all children, the timeline figures. You aren't pulling pieces from several different places, just adjusting how much they do based on their level.

TOG also has a focus on teaching D and up level children to work independently from the Student Activity Pages, that TOG provides. This gives them their mapping and such, and they learn to manage their own time to get it done. Now that isn't a magical pill to fix things, it is work to assist the child in learning this, but once they have gone through the process they can manage a lot of their own work.

That said I generally use TOG in more of a Sonlight way. I read the LG books aloud to my 2nd, 3rd and 5th graders and assign LG level work for my oldest. We are in year 4 right now. My middle two are sensitive so I didn't want them in UG yet. As we come back to year 1 I will be reading LG aloud to all again, but assign additional reading for my oldest 2 who will be LG and D levels. When we start year 2 I will most likely again read out loud the LG to all, and then assign extra reading for my middle girls from the LG level, and for my oldest from the D level. With year 3 I may very well stop reading aloud, and have my younger two read UG and my older two D level. You can see the progression. :D

Heather

a) The teacher does not have to switch gears between time periods and parts of the world.

b) The teacher only has to read one set of notes and then implement depending on each child's level vs. having to read 3 or 4 different types on notes, which you would still have to adjust to the child's level since SL's Cores cover a certain age range and so your focus on Core K with a 5 year old for example will not be the same as using Core K with a 7-8 year old.

:iagree:

I love SL, and am only just scoping out TOG. These are two of my main draws, PLUS I think it will do a better job of developing a biblical worldview in the D/R years.

I have four on the ground now, and they are often 2 - 3 years apart. The thought of having to juggle multiple time periods makes my brain want to explode. :001_huh:

I'm not to good with jumping mental tracks like that. :lol: There's a reason we do history two days, then science two days instead of every subject every day! It takes my brain a long time to switch gears. :confused:

:iagree:

I love SL, and am only just scoping out TOG. These are two of my main draws, PLUS I think it will do a better job of developing a biblical worldview in the D/R years.

I have four on the ground now, and they are often 2 - 3 years apart. The thought of having to juggle multiple time periods makes my brain want to explode. :001_huh:

I'm not to good with jumping mental tracks like that. :lol: There's a reason we do history two days, then science two days instead of every subject every day! It takes my brain a long time to switch gears. :confused:

My bio kids (ds11 and younger) are spaced about the same :) I totally get the brain explode thing! :lol:

I only have two kiddos for now but 5 years apart. Combining would not have been an option for me even if I wanted to. While two Cores with two kids is doable, since they will not be working on anything else together, having at least history to share is something that I know they will enjoy. I love how TOG has activities that involve all the kids. I can't wait for Malcolm to be old enough to share in all the activities. He already sticks his little hands in everything we do anyway :). I am also fortunate that the way things have worked out I can start Malcolm with Year 1 in K (when Adrian is on his second cycle) and not have to start him halfway through.