Menu

Difference between premise and purpose?

I have to do 6 book reviews for a couple of my college classes. I'm asked to state the premise and the purpose of each book. I've looked up the definitions but for some reason I just cannot understand how to state a premise.

What am I looking for in each of these? I can see that the purpose would be asking WHY the author wrote the book, but if that isn't specifically stated, I have no idea how I'm supposed to make that assumption.

Are these non-fiction books?

I'm not sure from a "literature" standpoint, but for argument the premise would be basic assumptions or beliefs the author has before building a case.

A purpose would be, like you said, why did he/she write the book? To persuade, inform, etc.

I have to do 6 book reviews for a couple of my college classes. I'm asked to state the premise and the purpose of each book. I've looked up the definitions but for some reason I just cannot understand how to state a premise.

What am I looking for in each of these? I can see that the purpose would be asking WHY the author wrote the book, but if that isn't specifically stated, I have no idea how I'm supposed to make that assumption.

The premise is the central idea of the book. For example. Anne McCaffrey thought of her idea for her dragonrider books by thinking "what if dragons were the good guys?" That's the premise. Purpose is different. The purpose in those (err...if you read them ALL) is more...what can people (and fantasy creatures) accomplish when they get past their pettiness and differences and work together?

Okay, I know this might be farfetched since you haven't read the book, but does at least sound like I might be on the right track?

The premise of this book is to detail nuances of the newborn, showing how they are born with the capabilities to bond with their parents and continue the growth and development process that began in the womb. The author’s purpose is to provide this information to parents that will enable them to build and strengthen their bond with the newborn child, welcome her into the family, and provide her with a healthy environment in which to grow.

Goodness, how embarrassing to put my writing out there for everyone to see! :tongue_smilie:

Sounds good to me. The only thing I would say is-is there a specific POV to this book? For example, Growing Kids God's Way by you-know-who has a very different view on what one should do with a baby than The Baby Book by Dr. Sears. Is part of the purpose to persuade parents that X way of raising children is best? Sometimes that's not the case and books are fairly balanced. But, if there is a specific POV, I would mention it in the premise.

Sounds good to me. The only thing I would say is-is there a specific POV to this book? For example, Growing Kids God's Way by you-know-who has a very different view on what one should do with a baby than The Baby Book by Dr. Sears. Is part of the purpose to persuade parents that X way of raising children is best? Sometimes that's not the case and books are fairly balanced. But, if there is a specific POV, I would mention it in the premise.

Okay, thanks. Let me give that some thought.

Okay, I know this might be farfetched since you haven't read the book, but does at least sound like I might be on the right track?

The premise of this book is to detail nuances of the newborn, showing how they are born with the capabilities to bond with their parents and continue the growth and development process that began in the womb. The author’s purpose is to provide this information to parents that will enable them to build and strengthen their bond with the newborn child, welcome her into the family, and provide her with a healthy environment in which to grow.

Goodness, how embarrassing to put my writing out there for everyone to see! :tongue_smilie:

:001_smile:I think you've got it. What I'm reading is:

1. The author believes that babies are born with bonding capabilities that begin forming in the womb and that parents should understand. (premise)

2. The author's goal is to influence parent behavior. (purpose)

The "detail the nuances" part might be more purpose related...though the author's premise is that there are definable nuances.