Menu

Ds Narrated back entire passage from WWE word for word.

smilesonly

So much for the label of VSL/RB.:tongue_smilie: Last night was yet another example of his ability to recall details, comprehend, and then elaborate on passages/books he is read to.

Dh did his WWE lesson (from level 2) about mid-way through the book, and reported that ds didn't summarize, he completely retold the passage word for word. This is why I had dh do the lesson, as I have been wondering if I just keep working with him at this level or move him to level 3.:confused:

Thoughts?

~tia

Edited by smilesonly
weird sentencing-sorry!

Whoa! That's a seriously good memory!:001_smile:

It is a skill to learn to summarize so I would continue to work on this skill at the current WWE 2 level. Is your dh using the scripted questions to lead him to a summary? That should help decide what information is important to include. One of my boys tended towards retelling the entire story initially, but he is able to summarize very well now.

Sounds like my DD. She could repeat back entire passages word for word, but struggled with summarizing.

I agree with the others. Stick with WWE2, but focus on summarizing. WWE level 2 asks for the child to tell only the MOST important things in the passage. Narrations should be only 1-3 sentences long, especially as his narrations are to be used as dictation exercises.

Okay. Yes, that is what I was wanting to ask. Brain off duty-sorry about that!

While he is able to retell accurately, I would say that 7-8 times out of 10, he is able to also verbalize the main idea(s).

Dictation he is able to do painlessly 9 out of 10 times.

Did I make that clear as mud?:D

:bigear:

I also wanted to add that he is 9 and this is our first year with WWE. I will assume that most start this curriculum in 1st grade, so I don't think he is advanced.

thanks

I have a 10 year old in WWE 3 and an 8 year old in WWE 2. I use the level which fits the needs of my individual kids, paying no attention to matching the "grade level" of the program with my kids' grade levels. :001_smile:

While he is able to retell accurately, I would say that 7-8 times out of 10, he is able to also verbalize the main idea(s).

I also wanted to add that he is 9 and this is our first year with WWE.

That changes things. Yes, I'd do the end of year mastery evaluation and then move on to the next level.

well, narration tends to be either feast or famine. My kid is also a dumper. Narration was so, so useful to teach him how to pull out the important details of a passage. We are still working on it. I have to say often, narration isn't recitation.

When he was using WWE 2 in third grade, he could recite the entire passage etc. The memorization was never a problem for him either. Say it four or five times and he's got it down. Now, we are in WWE4 and he is 10. Let's just say things are a little harder, lol. The dictations are a paragraph long and very, very challenging. I am having to pull them apart into two different sections.

Okay. Yes, that is what I was wanting to ask. Brain off duty-sorry about that!

Did I make that clear as mud?:D

:bigear:

My 3rd grade dd is doing the summary portion of WWE 3. (We skip the dictations) She does struggle with some of the details at times but is pretty good with giving a 3 sentence summary. What I did for her because she is a great writer is to have her write all of her summary on her own. She does this fine. But if I remember correctly she is only supposed to write one sentence of her summary from my dictation.

I used to have her write it from her own dictation. I would make her say her sentence out loud and then write it. She is starting to transition into writing the whole thing from her brain with no out loud component. I usually will have her say the first sentence out loud to help her focus and then she can finish it by herself.

Do you have the text? Or can you check it out from the library? I checked one out of the public library. You can use that to see what the end product out to look like and then accelerate that process as your child is able. I still have my dd work from WWE3 because the selections in book 4 are more difficult. So she's reading from book 3 but writing more at the 4 level. Clear as mud huh? :001_smile: