Menu

Dc are learning Latin. Add another language, wait, or switch?

TrixieB

My dc, 1st & 4th grade, are finishing up Prima Latina. My plan is to use Latina Christiana 1 with them next year, focusing mostly on my then-5th grader.

My dc would like to learn Spanish (instead of Latin -- Latin was my idea, not theirs). My oldest had several quarters of Spanish at co-op a couple of years ago, and remembers some but has forgotten much. She thinks it would be too confusing to learn both. Would it be too confusing? Should I hold off on Spanish for another year, to give them a better grasp on Latin first? Or is it more sensible to switch to Spanish?

I have already bought Latina Christiana 1 for next year, so of course I want to use it, rather than drop it and switch to Spanish. It's possible to return it, though, since it's a recent purchase...

Help!

I would consider my motivation for teaching Latin. In my case, we learn Latin as a study of a language. I do not have the hopes that dc will one day speak fluent Latin (this would be great though!). It is more my goal that they study and become educated in a language and Latin is a great language to study for this.

Once they are in high school or beyond if they want to learn to speak another language like Spanish, French or German for travel or business, then I would encourage it. Their Latin studies would be very beneficial in many popular languages.

Even with many years of study it is hard to stay fluent in a language unless you use it regularly.

If dc really wanted to learn right now, I would continue with Latin during school hours and purchase a Spanish curriculum that they could do on their own time for independent study.

Latin can be challenging, but frankly, Spanish is easy. Especially after a bit of Latin.

They will have much better pronunciation if they start now, even if they don't focus on only one language.

Waldorf schools all start with two foreign languages in 1st grade and nobody gets them mixed up.

BTW, if they want to do Spanish, check your DVDs. Some will have a Spanish option in the menu. It's a great way to provide "immersion."

She is able to compartmentalize internally and keep the two languages separate. I do make a point of NOT making her study the two languages one right after the other. You might even consider alternating days and only studying one language per day. My dd does do both many days, but at different times in the day.