Menu

SOTW type spine for American history

StephanieF

You might want to take a look at "The American Story" by Jennifer Armstrong, "DK Smithsonian Encyclopedia of American History" by David C. King, or "The Rainbow Book of American History" by Earl Schenck Miers and James Daugherty.

The books can be viewed and purchased at www.amazon.com or www.amazon.co.uk

An excellant resource is Christine Miller's "All Through the Ages."

This book can be viewed at www.rainbowresource.com

:001_smile:

You may consider "This Country of Ours" by H. E. Marshall. You can read it online at The Baldwin Project or purchase a hard copy. You may also listen to it by downloading the free audio recording from Librivox.

This was my thought, too. I haven't actually read/listened to it yet, but we're currently listening to Our Island Story by the same author, and it's great. (Though, being published in 1905, it won't cover modern history and contains ideas and biases that aren't really acceptable today which would need to be addressed or changed.)

Edited by ocelotmom

This was my thought, too. I haven't actually read/listened to it yet, but we're currently listening to Our Island Story by the same author, and it's great. (Though, being published in 1905, it won't cover modern history and contains ideas and biases that aren't really acceptable today which would need to be addressed or changed.)

Interesting. I listened to the first few hours of this, and thought it was more like the mythology of Britain, rather than making any effort to be historically accurate. It would be good for making sure a child knew the commonly-told stories about Britain, but that wouldn't be what I would expect out of a spine. (To be fair, the author does not claim it is historically accurate.)

Based on my experience with Our Island Story, I would expect This Country of Ours to be full of American mythology, which would be particularly unhelpful for a Brit without the knowledge of US History to separate fact from fiction.

If you've used it, what's your opinion?