Menu

Looking for info on Bates or Bowdoin Colleges in Maine

My son wants to look at these schools this summer (on his list of 12 ) and I would love to hear stories from someone who knows all about either one of them.

Thanks.

Don't know "all about" them, but I do know a young lady at Bowdoin who is studying classics. The school is considered one of the best LACs and I hope that my son will take a close look at it.

At least this will bump your query.

Jane

Thanks,Jane. We called for an appointment. They were not very promising about transferring the 2 years of community college credits that he have when he enters. That fact alone may drive him to an in-state school. (Virginia) At any rate, we will look at Bowdoin and see what they have to say.

Thanks,Jane. We called for an appointment. They were not very promising about transferring the 2 years of community college credits that he have when he enters. That fact alone may drive him to an in-state school. (Virginia) At any rate, we will look at Bowdoin and see what they have to say.

I fear that many of the LACs view CC credits as validation of a student's high school performance. Will in-state private colleges recognize the credit or just the state universities?

Jane

I don't know from a homeschooler's perspective, but my sister went to Bowdoin and really loved it. She was a Classics major, but I think that my parents were less than happy with her experience with the Classics department (apparently she was the only Classics major her senior year, so they sent the entire department on sabbatical except for one professor who hated my sister... or something like that). Overall, she really enjoyed her experience though.

I think that most of the small liberal arts colleges are wary about accepting credits... these days most don't even take AP credits or CC credits. I've heard that their concern is that so many entering students have so many of these credits that they can skip at least a year, often two, and that the school wants to turn out graduates that they've been able to control the quality of their whole college education. Oh yeah, and they also want all four years of your money ;)