Menu

So, say I was going to go with TOG...

The ordering part is a bit overwhelming! I'm on their site, looking at year 2, and don't know what I would get (right now it's just a hypothetical so that I can see what the end cost would be). It looks like the Bonus Bundle is the best way to go. Then I need to get Multi-Year Books, Multi Unit Books and Unit Books? How do I know what to buy - or are all of them needed (I assume they aren't)? Or should I check the library and see what they have, then buy whatever they don't? The cost is scaring me!

Thanks to any wise TOG-ers that can answer my question!

Or should I check the library and see what they have, then buy whatever they don't?

We are finishing Yr 1 and will be doing Yr 2. For Yr 1, I bought a few books that the library didn't have, and (in retrospect) didn't really need them. The main one for Yr 1 that we've used a lot is the Usb. Int. Linked Ency. of Ancient World - but all of the fiction / non-fiction books could easily have been replaced with what was on the library shelf. Now, of course, you wdn't then be able to use the worksheets that are book-specific, but ... imo it wdn't really matter.

For Yr 2, I am not going to order any books at all, unless something seems really crucial once I see the lists. Of course, TOG is about 15 minutes from my house, so I can pop over there and just buy the things (which won't help you!), but the libraries around here have a pretty decent range of books - and since you're studying topics/concepts (for the most part) and not specific books, having a specific title isn't as important as having a book that covers the topic.

and possibly some of the Literature books that are used for more than a week and are hard to find in the library. The more TOG users your library system has, the harder it will be to find the books.

I like to buy as many as possible, but I also work the TOG booth to help me do that. In my normal homeschooling budget, I would only buy the spines and hope to find the rest at the library.

I have a few Year 1 books left that I am selling so I can buy next year's books! :lol:

(confessions of a book junkie, I don't want to get rid of any of my PRECIOUS books):D

TY both! Can you tell me: is there a spine (or spines) with TOG? I can't really tell. If I am online and going through the ordering steps, are all the recommended books right there online? With Biblioplan they tell you that younger Grammar needs SOTW, Usborne IL World History, and a Bible atlas. That was easy! I wonder if I should order the Bundle Pack, then go back later and order the books???

Have you done the Power Search on the Bookshelf?

You're right, you'll probably want to do the Bonus Bundle. Once you've got that down, then look at the top of the Bookshelf screen and click on Power Search. You'll select the year plan, the learning level (Upper Grammar, Dialectic, etc.), the unit (1,2,3,or 4), and the category of books you're looking for (or "any") for all of them.

You'll get a complete list of the books you'll need for that unit, and you can print it out. Then do the same for the other 3 units.

What I do then is take that list and go online to my library's online catalog to see what they have. I make my purchase list after that.

Hope this helps!

We're just finishing up year two, and imho the best thing to do would be to purchase the bonus bundle (definitely the best deal there), wait until you get your package, and then go through the week plans and make out your "to buy" book list, and your "library" book list. I bought all the books that weren't in my library before I saw my week plans, and in retrospect there were some that I could have done without.

I would also recommend only buying the books one unit at a time. Most people wind up tweaking TOG to fit their kids and style, so you might find that some books become more important and others not necessary.