Menu

Self-Publish a book for personal use

Quick Version: Where is the best place, or how is the best way to go about publishing a book that you have written for your own personal use?

Long Version:

My husband wrote for an online question/answer forum for his University called The 100 Hour Board while he was a student for several years. He was even the head editor. The premise was that anyone could ask a question and the writers would answer within 100 hours. It was all anonymous and it used pseudonyms. Some answers were very short, and some were long, well-thought out essays.

Part of the fun of it was that there was some banter between different writers and several of the answers were done by multiple people. This was a very important part of my Dh's life for several years.

Anyways, he retired about 6 months ago. He wrote over 1500 answers. I want to have them printed out and put into a book, along with the original questions asked and the other writer's answers. The problem is that this makes it very long. Over a 2000 Microsoft Word pages. I want this to be a keepsake for him.

What would be the best way to get this printed? I have access to it all and am going to go through and clean it all up and format it for him.

I realize it will probably cost quite a bit of money, but I don't want it to be crazy (under $200). Any advice?

You could also compare Lulu's prices with Blurb - I've used them before and been very happy with their products. They advertise mostly photo books, but they have nicely formatted pages for text too. Take a look at their blog for samples of completed projects.