Menu

S/O Current SSL thread - similar resources for other subjects?

DaffodilDreams

Dd adores SSL. She would love it if I found similar resources for other subjects. I've been trolling You Tube for educational songs and videos, but you have to sift through a lot of junk before finding good stuff. Are there any curriculum companies that put out fun but quality CDs or videos for other subjects - particularly for memorizing the early to mid elementary basics across all subjects?

She does love Jim Weiss - unfortunately, I can't seem to find his stuff on sale and the CDs tend to hold their value even when sold used.

We have School House Rock, and she loves that and retains the info so much better than from a book.

We have a Geography Songs cd, but that one seems to annoy her.

I am especially interested in songs for math tables, but I would love to hear all of your song or video resource ideas if you care to share.

Thanks!

Dd adores SSL. She would love it if I found similar resources for other subjects. I've been trolling You Tube for educational songs and videos, but you have to sift through a lot of junk before finding good stuff. Are there any curriculum companies that put out fun but quality CDs or videos for other subjects - particularly for memorizing the early to mid elementary basics across all subjects?

She does love Jim Weiss - unfortunately, I can't seem to find his stuff on sale and the CDs tend to hold their value even when sold used.

We have School House Rock, and she loves that and retains the info so much better than from a book.

We have a Geography Songs cd, but that one seems to annoy her.

I am especially interested in songs for math tables, but I would love to hear all of your song or video resource ideas if you care to share.

Thanks!

:bigear:

When I was doing Microbiology, I daydreamed about being more musically/lyrically creative and making learning songs up to college level, because I can remember entire musicals word for word without significant effort, but memorizing anything not set to music is difficult for me.

You know what would be cool? Taking the khan academy videos and creating a soundtrack for them in place of the talking.

I just bought the Shurley Grammar Jingle time chant/song CD and coloring book, and my 6 yr old is enjoying it. I got the grade 3-8 one and grade 3 coloring book, mostly because Shurley uses the same terminology LfC does, and since LfC starts at grade 3, I assumed the 3-8 would be a better reinforcer for LfC. DD likes it better than "Grammar Songs", which we also have, maybe because it sounds a little "older", and it's certainly more detailed than Grammar Rock.

I also have "Singing songs of Science", by AIMS, which has coloring/lyric pages to go with songs that relate to primary school science concepts, mostly life science/nature study. It's less logical (do you really NEED to know different kinds of bats?), but she's enjoyed it, too.

Bilingual Songs Spanish (at least 3 levels, maybe 4) has kind of a similar song-style, but less nice print resources.

And I assume you've already considered SSG-although that one hits the "ok, now what?" even more than SSL does.

If you have Discovery Education, filter media to "songs" and then search. There's quite a lot of audio for download. Some is better than others, but we've found some pretty good ones, and since I'm already paying for the subscription, I might as well use them.

Napster.com has playlists for a lot of educational subjects, and we've found some decent CDs that way, too. I use my coke reward credits (IT companies seem to run on constant diet Coke, and DH's co-workers save the codes for me) to get free downloads.

Also, check e-bay for CD sets that go with textbooks. A lot of times, these are pretty cheap, and have some good materials to pick and choose from.

We're in the car a lot due to DD's dance schedule, so I take advantage of the time :)

Edited by Dmmetler2