Menu

Help me plan 1st grade history!

bamagirl

I will be using SOTW1 along with the activity book. Is this enough for a 1st grader who loves history? With K, we are following the SL schedule and she would like to be doing more now. I really like the looks of Biblioplan Ancients and found a good deal here, but just trying to decide if that will be overkill or not. Would love to hear your thoughts :)

I am doing SOTW1 with my 1st grade dd right now!! :D I think it's enough.

Along with the coloring pages and the maps, we try to do at least one of the activities for every chapter and then read as many of the extra books suggested in the activity guide that I can find at the library. Note: We have a great library, so I can usually find almost all of them.

So... in addition to all our other subjects and the other read alouds we do, I think we're doing plenty. History is our favorite subject, too.

Note: I am considering doing something separate for geography... We use our globe and the maps (like I mentioned) and we point out where the places are we are talking about: The fertile crescent, Egypt, the Nile, etc... But, I'd like my daughter to be more aware of continents, countries and cultures.

A friend suggested I use Little Passports. She's using it with her six year old. So, I am looking at that, but I am also looking at Top Secret Adventure. These look like fun ways to add geography and culture studies to our days without it feeling too "heavy." :D

Good luck!

Edited by VBoulden

I also agree that SOTW w/AG will keep your hands full just by itself and its suggested books and activities. We enjoy adding a few fun extras, such as Veronica mentioned. I just did a big review on Top Secret Adventures this week in fact.

SOTW ignited a passion in my daughter for geography and maps. We've added quite a bit of geography to our studies this year.

Edited by Satori

That and a library card. Every week there is a list of possible fiction and non fiction books to read. That said, if you can't get to the library or don't have great access, it is not the end of the world if you don't use those suggestions.

I am on my second trip through ancients with a little one. I think what really makes it special are the activities. I try to do one every other week or so. They love them!

I make a list of three or four activities for every month and get it all ready ahead of time. I do my copying and cutting out and shopping the month before.

When your kids look back, what they remember is that stuff.

Thanks for all your input! I had noticed SOTW was mentioned as a reference with a lot of other curricula so was afraid it might not stand alone, but I think it will meet our needs! I'm also trying to decide on geography. I think Little Passports looks very neat, but don't really like the price....we may go with Expedition Earth, it looks similar in content but not as flashy, and a cheaper price :D