Menu

S/O Voice Lessons - does anyone know anything about the Kodaly method?

Honestly, I think it is nice for learning how to read music but not so great for learning how to sing.

Right.

I teach her piano and music theory anyway, although we are not as diligent about it as I would like - and we also sing together around the piano. What was concerning me a little was that her voice is a little coarse at times, especially when she sings loudly. Grandma encourages her to do this :banghead: at the same time as I am trying to encourage her to sing more quietly and sweetly - but I'm not skilled at singing myself so I don't really know how to help her. :confused:

Right.

I teach her piano and music theory anyway, although we are not as diligent about it as I would like - and we also sing together around the piano. What was concerning me a little was that her voice is a little coarse at times, especially when she sings loudly. Grandma encourages her to do this :banghead: at the same time as I am trying to encourage her to sing more quietly and sweetly - but I'm not skilled at singing myself so I don't really know how to help her. :confused:

Basically you need someone to teach her how to breathe. The reason I say that is because even if you sing quietly, it can be unsupported and breathy (a lot of pop music is like this) and that is just as wrong as singing loudly and forcefully. It isn't the volume of the singing that is bad in that case as much as again, you're not letting the breath do the work. A good children's choir usually teaches good breathing technique. If your school district allows homeschool students to participate, even a good school choir would be helpful.

I have always thought of kodaly as a method to teach overall music theory/concepts. I hadn't realized there was a voice lesson specific aspect. Now I'm curious. Personally, I always preferred moveable do solfege, and I really like Dalcroze eurythmics. It can't hurt, I guess, but again, not sure about specifics applying to voice lessons as opposed to instrumental.

I have always thought of kodaly as a method to teach overall music theory/concepts. I hadn't realized there was a voice lesson specific aspect. Now I'm curious. Personally, I always preferred moveable do solfege, and I really like Dalcroze eurythmics. It can't hurt, I guess, but again, not sure about specifics applying to voice lessons as opposed to instrumental.

Many children's choirs use Kodaly method to teach the choir member music theory. The Kodaly method also usually starts with a pentatonic scale (5 notes) in a range that is good for young voices (think of "Rain, Rain, Go Away" and other nursery songs)

Many children's choirs use Kodaly method to teach the choir member music theory. The Kodaly method also usually starts with a pentatonic scale (5 notes) in a range that is good for young voices (think of "Rain, Rain, Go Away" and other nursery songs)

I learn something new every day. Thanks, Jean. :)

If you find a teacher trained in Kodaly or Orff, jump on that chance.:001_smile:

As far as singing technique for a child, I encourage boys and girls to sing in their head voice. It's very natural and easy to sing in tune in a head voice, and it's physically appropriate. (though uncomfy for many kids b/c it's so rare to hear children singing in a head voice these days and kids like to fit in:glare:)

Whoot like an owl, "choo choo" like a train...that's the head voice. Volume is a non-issue...though encouraging a kid to "sing loudly" will inevitably result in shouting, not singing. You want her to match pitch and have a clear, easy tone. A child's voice will literally never tire if they are singing in their head voice.

Singing along with piano practice is very good sight reading/ear training for a child. I teach mine nursery tunes in solfa, and then we transfer that to the keyboard. My babies could mimic back m3's very young...sol mi sol mi... Sing the scales and the arpeggio's...sing the melodies, sing the harmonies...sing the piano fingerings. I *wish* someone would have done this for me! Learning this way (singing/playing/reading) makes it all come together in a way that is difficult to gain later on. I happen to have a decent ear and did well in voice, but my piano skills (or lack thereof) limit my options. I play well enough to royally embarrass myself.:tongue_smilie: