Menu

Drive-Thru History and TOG?

plain jane

I'm wondering if the Drive-Thru History DVDs would make a nice supplement or "fun" thing to add to TOG- especially to be used on days that I am unavailable because something came up or whatnot (this happens to other people besides just me, right? :001_unsure:

What is the ideal age range for these DVDs? I'll have a 5th and 2nd grader, both relatively advanced. Are these okay ages to watch those DVDs?

Please forgive me if I've asked this here before- I did just do a search of all my old posts and it didn't come up. I've been kind of itching to get my hands on one of these DVDs to see what they're like but reluctant to spend the money if they're not a good fit for my kids at this time.

Also, what's your overall impression of these DVDs?

I'll be honest. We hated drive through history.. I mean my boys thought it was the dumbest thing they had ever seen. However, they have watched tons of Ken Burns documentaries as well as American Experience and other of those type that they really enjoy. They thought the guy was really stupid and there wasn't much information. For TOG we have Netflix and I alternate what we watch between documentaries and movies. For example, they just finished American Experience: MacARthur that was really good and I have Ruby Bridges-the Disney movie about one of the first black students in an all white school in New Orleans to start next week. By the time we finish it , the Civil Rights series will be here next. I love Netlix and so do my boys. I bought Drive Through history used several years ago thinking it would be fun and sold it the next week. Just plain awful.

Christine

Just to show that opinions differ, we have thoroughly enjoyed Drive Thru History. We watched the ancient series (the 1st 4) during our TOG y1 when dc were PreK, K, & 5th. We've rewatched them several times, too. The American history series is relevant to y2 u4 mostly.

They are completely silly and sometimes irreverent (read: goofy). His information is accurate. The locations he shows us are great. They move quickly so it's sometime hard to keep up if the material is new. My dh and I have absorbed more on the 2nd watchings. My kids have enjoyed seeing him talk about or spoof on something that they have already learned about, too. He does make a lot of connections between things -- good for D but goes over LG and UG heads (they just enjoy it for what it is).

We haven't ever used them as a replacement for our reading. But we've really enjoyed them as a supplement.

I'm wondering if the Drive-Thru History DVDs would make a nice supplement or "fun" thing to add to TOG- especially to be used on days that I am unavailable because something came up or whatnot (this happens to other people besides just me, right? :001_unsure:

What is the ideal age range for these DVDs? I'll have a 5th and 2nd grader, both relatively advanced. Are these okay ages to watch those DVDs?

Please forgive me if I've asked this here before- I did just do a search of all my old posts and it didn't come up. I've been kind of itching to get my hands on one of these DVDs to see what they're like but reluctant to spend the money if they're not a good fit for my kids at this time.

Also, what's your overall impression of these DVDs?

My kids love them. They are a little on the light side, but they also don't have content problems. They guy is funny, if you like that type of humor. They are generally obvious set ups, and silliness. They are excellent for seeing the places where ancient history happened.

Digging for the truth was another good one that was a bit more in depth, but it once in a while had content issues. I just can't remember what sort. My girls are sensitive so it could have been something specific to them. I don't think it comes from a Christian perspective...I wanted to say the host is Jewish or comes form a Jewish background, but I might not be remembering right.

Heather