Menu

Call for Beach Reading Recs

Kage Baker's Company series. Not only is it a great series, but it has a satisfying ending. It also serves as a reward for reading folklore and paying attention during history class. The first book is a good stand-alone if you're not looking for a series.

Here's the order of the books (they must be read in order):

In the Garden of Iden (set in the reign of Bloody Mary)

Sky Coyote

Mendoza in Hollywood

The Graveyard Game

Life of the World to Come

The Children of the Company

The Machine's Child

The Sons of Heaven

There are also some short story collections:

Black Projects, White Knights (best read before Graveyard Game or Life of the World to Come)

Gods and Pawns (best read before The Sons of Heaven)

I'm reading The Overachievers by Alexandra Robbins. It is very interesting!

It was an interesting read, I thought; however, I also seem to recall it being depressing seeing what all those teens were up to. If you take this one to the beach, take along a Bill Bryson book to make you laugh!

Regards,

Kareni

I'm reading The Overachievers by Alexandra Robbins. It is very interesting!

It was an interesting read, I thought; however, I also seem to recall it being depressing seeing what all those teens were up to.
I'd recommend pairing this with The Price of Privilege by Levine. Makes me feel good about being a rather laid back homeschooler.

I'd recommend Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series starting with The Eyre Affair. It's great fun to see if you can catch all the literary references. His Nursery Crime Series is good, too. I just finished the The Big Over Easy in which Det. Jack Spratt investigates the murder of one Humperdink Dumpty. I'm going to start on The Fourth Bear soon. Make no mistake though, Nursery Crime is not for kids.;)