Menu

TOG.. more questions :)

Mynyel

TOG has been a hot topic lately and I have looked, from my peripheral vision :D, then with one eye closed (or is it one eye open?) :D Then with both eyes and am intrigued. *sigh* Why am I intrigued? I like having things in one place. I like one stop shopping. SO...

Out of this list of subjects what would TOG replace?

History

Science

Grammar

Vocabulary

Spelling

Writing

Logic

Literature

Music

Art

Bible

I am assuming Math isn't covered :) as well as a foreign language and Latin.

I am not ready to jump in with both feet yet but my big toe is certainly testing the water!

No I don't have something separate for all those I just wanted to make sure all the bases are covered! :)

It would cover History, Geography, Literature, Church History. It can also cover writing and some grammar if you choose to use their writing program. It also has Arts/ Activities related to the History topic for the week.

Year 1's main book for the first half is the Bible so in that year you have Bible reading covered, otherwise you have to add that in.

I think the best feature of TOG is having all your kids studying the same history topic at the same time.

We've loved it! I just posted to another TOG question post earlier in the day so look back at that for more info.

Sarah

History

Science-History of some Science-You would still want a science curriculum

Vocabulary

Spelling-You have the option to use the vocab words as spelling words, but it is not spelling instruction.

Writing-with Writing Aids

Logic---not sure? I dont think it is included though. My kids are all grammar stage, so I have not processed the older kid stuff yet.

Literature

Music-History of some musicians

Art-Arts and Crafts and history of art with some art instruction in lower levels, I believe upper levels are mostly history of art.

Bible

TOG has been a hot topic lately and I have looked, from my peripheral vision :D, then with one eye closed (or is it one eye open?) :D Then with both eyes and am intrigued. *sigh* Why am I intrigued? I like having things in one place. I like one stop shopping. SO...

History

Science

Grammar

Vocabulary

Spelling

Writing

Logic

Literature

Music

Art

Bible

I am assuming Math isn't covered :) as well as a foreign language and Latin.

I am not ready to jump in with both feet yet but my big toe is certainly testing the water!

No I don't have something separate for all those I just wanted to make sure all the bases are covered! :)

It will depend on the level.... With my LG: History, Geography, Vocabulary (related to history), Art (related to history), Writing and Literature (also related to history).

With my D/R: History, Geography, Writing, Literature, Philosophy, Government, Church History, Music History/Composers (mostly reading) and Art. Most everything is related to history. D/R level studies famous people, has a timeline activity, and there are some science related readings, but a science curriclum is definitely still needed.

In addition to TOG, with my LG I use:

OPGTR, FLL, ETC, CLE LA, Abeka Math, Elemental Science, Reason for Handwriting, and lapbooking related to history and science topics.

Additionally with my D/R: Apologia Science, Abeka Health, Wordly Wise, CLE English/Grammar, Fallacy Detective/Thinking Toolbox and Key to Algebra.

HTH!!

Good morning! I couldn't resist chiming in with the others as you explore your options for hs'ing your dc. TOG is not an all encompassing curriculum such as SL or MFW and others, but it is the spine (literally the backbone) that holds your family's education program together. It is based on year plans broken up into units, each unit covering a different period of history. From there everything is connected, making it a beautiful way for the family to simultaneously do unit studies together at the levels each child in the family.

Like others have pointed out, the subjects covered vary according to age of your student. (Additionally, YR-1 does cover Biblical studies because it is all about the ancient world.) I would suggest that you read the siggy lines on the posts of many of us here in the Hive. You will see TOG combined with other curriculum choices along with the ages of our dc. A good example would be mine below. You can see that we are on TOG YR-2 and that we use WA for our writing program. Along with these, use TT for math, Apologia science, SP and VFCR for spelling and Latin/Greek based vocabulary, R&S for grammar, etc., etc.

Have fun exploring, and feel free to ask questions any time. I love talking about TOG. :~)

Blessings,

Lucinda