Menu

Alternative Non Toxic Cleaning Recipes Site

I'm pretty sure that baking soda as toothpaste is advisable only once in awhile. It is too abrasive for daily use and will etch teeth.

Also, borax is a chemical that should be handled very carefully. Young children should not be exposed to it, and adults should always handle it with gloves on. Breathing it is not good for you either. I don't think borax can really be classified as non-toxic.

I think everything else they mention is pretty safe, though. Unfortunately, vinegar as a cleaning agent is out of the question for us because dh cannot tolerate the smell. :001_huh:

Due to Claire's post I decided to do a bit of investigation on borax. As she said it should be handled with gloves on and you should not breathe in the powder. Also it should not be injested.

It is considered a "green" cleaning product though.

Here is an interesting web link I found about it.

http://www.greenlivingtips.com/articles/115/1/Handy-borax-tips.html

I'm pretty sure that baking soda as toothpaste is advisable only once in awhile. It is too abrasive for daily use and will etch teeth.

My dentist has advised me to use baking soda. He assured me it will not scratch my teeth. With the autoimmune disease I have I have a difficult time using toothpast that foam.

Here is a link I found about the safety of baking soda for tooth care.

http://www.oralcarepro.com/article_landing.aspx