Menu

Home classroom design ideas?

We have a 8x12 room designated for our home classroom for our two sons.

It has a beautiful Community Playthings semicircle desk plus three CP chairs.

Everything else: books, train set + track, wooden animals, felt, paper/crayons, legos, etc., are in baskets on the floor. Great for access, but a bit cluttered.

Time to dream of revamping the space - any design ideas, blog links, etc.?

Looking for inspiration.

Thanks!

-Caitlin

We have the three rows of bookshelves on the eastern wall, and two more bookshelves plus a science countertop and shelving on the northern wall. There are four desks with chairs in the middle of the room. I like that the desks have shelves for each of the boys' books and supplies in them. Right next to the doorway, there is a teacher's desk with shelves and filing cabinet.

We love our schoolroom! :-)

Here's a link to pics of the latest classroom thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245140&goto=newpost

(I'm not sure what page that'll put you on.)

I have a similar room and it is 9x14. Floor to ceiling bookshelves is your best bet, utilizing the high space that is always forgotten. If you need wall space, do perimeter bookshelving around the room that is at least 12" deep. Keep colors to a minimum to avoid a cluttered look or use cabinets that Home Depot has that are all the same; with doors. Those are pretty inexpensive, but keep a clean look, usually in the shelving dept.

Either way, less hodgepodge, more cohesive storage...storage that is all the same to avoid business and and bins (not clear, but one solid color that accents the room).

www.lakeshorelearning.com has great storage ideas under the furniture section. With all the times I tried to cheap out on things, I could have just bought the good stuff and it would still be good years later.

Edited by alilac

We have the three rows of bookshelves on the eastern wall, and two more bookshelves plus a science countertop and shelving on the northern wall. There are four desks with chairs in the middle of the room. I like that the desks have shelves for each of the boys' books and supplies in them. Right next to the doorway, there is a teacher's desk with shelves and filing cabinet.

We love our schoolroom! :-)

What kind of desks do you have and where did you get them? I'm looking for a desk for my 4th grader.