Menu

Has anyone used Learning Mathematics through Abacus?

TracyR

Oh man I have not seen much discussion on that one...too bad wonder if kids are able to internalize the soroban after working through it...really looks like they give it a go....sample pages show students visualizing the tasks on top of physically sliding beads around.

Another thing if we think about it, that soraban(abacus) helps thinking actions by aiding specific to general or part to whole. The beads do not vary in shape or size, yet just by sliding them on a wire they can go from a unit to five units or other value. It is also a great physical tool to help with the mental tool that is place value.

Anyway look forward to reading about future discussions if you decide to check out the abacus program of your thread.

Oh man I have not seen much discussion on that one...too bad wonder if kids are able to internalize the soroban after working through it...really looks like they give it a go....sample pages show students visualizing the tasks on top of physically sliding beads around.

Another thing if we think about it, that soraban(abacus) helps thinking actions by aiding specific to general or part to whole. The beads do not vary in shape or size, yet just by sliding them on a wire they can go from a unit to five units or other value. It is also a great physical tool to help with the mental tool that is place value.

Anyway look forward to reading about future discussions if you decide to check out the abacus program of your thread.

That is interesting because it looks as its extremely effective.

Here is a Youtube of a young boy who lives in India , if you watch his hands you can tell he has learned by using an abacus.

This video is in Malayalam (an indian language). So bear with the video. There aren't any English captions but they do speak a little in it.

Also here is a link to a website that offers classes but has some great videos on children using abacus.

http://www.aloha-usa.com/videos.html

I bought it, and we plan to start using it for 1st grade. I started using the soroban last year, and I really enjoyed the mental exercise involved. I'm working through the Year 1 textbook and activity book just to familiarize myself with the concepts and procedures so that I can explain them to my daughter. The key really is to be able to visualize the soroban in your head so that you can do complicated problems mentally.

Right now, we use the soroban while we play Shoots and Ladders. If you spin a 5 and you're on the 13, how do you represent 13+5=18 on the soroban? Check your work - are you correct? If you land on the 18 and you have the beads in the correct places to show that, you're correct!