Menu

Am I the only one...

Embassy

who has a child that does not enjoy MCT? I like the program. My son does not although he is learning well with it. I'm thinking I will probably go piecemeal next year. The grammar portion is a good fit, the writing is too hard, and the vocabulary is way too easy. On an upnote, I have integrated reading classics into our language arts based on MCT's program. My son has loved that. I'm sticking with it for the whole school year and see how things pan out.

who has a child that does not enjoy MCT? I like the program. My son does not although he is learning well with it. I'm thinking I will probably go piecemeal next year. The grammar portion is a good fit, the writing is too hard, and the vocabulary is way too easy. On an upnote, I have integrated reading classics into our language arts based on MCT's program. My son has loved that. I'm sticking with it for the whole school year and see how things pan out.

My two younger children love MCT, but my second son would have hated the elementary books. He likes straightforward teaching, and very much dislikes having a story approach for grammar or math.

As for the vocabulary, which level are you using? I got all of Island and all of Town except poetry this year. The Island vocabulary book was much too easy (and almost as much about aqueducts as vocabulary), but my daughter really liked Caesar's English. We haven't studied Latin, though, so that would make a difference.

Starting next year we are just going to use the grammar/practice/writing books from MCT. I might add in an upper level poetry book some time in the future, but not right now. We don't have money or time for vocabulary right now, so they will just go back to learning new words in context from their other school books.

My two younger children love MCT, but my second son would have hated the elementary books. He likes straightforward teaching, and very much dislikes having a story approach for grammar or math.

As for the vocabulary, which level are you using? I got all of Island and all of Town except poetry this year. The Island vocabulary book was much too easy (and almost as much about aqueducts as vocabulary), but my daughter really liked Caesar's English. We haven't studied Latin, though, so that would make a difference.

Starting next year we are just going to use the grammar/practice/writing books from MCT. I might add in an upper level poetry book some time in the future, but not right now. We don't have money or time for vocabulary right now, so they will just go back to learning new words in context from their other school books.

I have been using the Island level. We've done a couple years of Rummy Roots and are studying Greek too. I do like Music of the Hemispheres the best. My son did too.