Menu

St. Cloud, MN. ??

Just found out that dh's job may transfer us to St. Cloud. Does anyone here know anything about homeschooling there? I read a little on city data. What area of town would I want to live in if I want to be close to active homeschool groups?

Also, what about the weather? It looks like it would be miserably cold, but sometimes city data's info doesn't quite transfer into real world experience. I am hoping it isnt as cloudy, freezing, and dreary as it seems it is in the winter. Avg. high of 17 in Jan.?? Yikes! About how many hours of daylight is there during the dead of winter??

Anything that would seem helpful would be appreciated.

TIA

Just found out that dh's job may transfer us to St. Cloud. Does anyone here know anything about homeschooling there? I read a little on city data. What area of town would I want to live in if I want to be close to active homeschool groups?

Also, what about the weather? It looks like it would be miserably cold, but sometimes city data's info doesn't quite transfer into real world experience. I am hoping it isnt as cloudy, freezing, and dreary as it seems it is in the winter. Avg. high of 17 in Jan.?? Yikes! About how many hours of daylight is there during the dead of winter??

Anything that would seem helpful would be appreciated.

TIA

I can't really give you specific details about St Cloud, I'm about 2 hours away. I will attach the link to MHA, which has good links for info about homeschooling in MN and also links to various HS groups. http://www.homeschoolers.org/home

Weather here varies, for instance this morning we got up to sunny skies and a temp of about 35F, there is a bit of a wind though. I moved here from the PNW and do not find it as gloomy in the winter as living in Eugene. We get many bright, sunny, and cold days. I know it sounds awful, but, you do adjust to the temp.

I will admit for me the hardest adjustment has been the distance I have to travel for shopping. We went to St Cloud yesterday for dinner and a movie to celebrate St Valentine's Day. I squeezed in a little shopping too. :001_smile: Living in St Cloud this wouldn't be such a problem for you, there is a greater variety of places to choose from then the small towns around where I live.

I found the people here to be very welcoming in the rural area where we live. All of our closest neighbors had stopped by and introduced themselves, brought food, or even helped unload and haul things in from the moving van!

All in all, I can say it has been an adjustment but, I do like living here most of the time.

I am about 45 min from St. Cloud. I wish I were a little closer because I always hear how active the hs community is there. St. Cloud is a college town, nice mall, lots of restaurants. It has a kind of small town feel; I personally love St. Cloud.:001_smile: I don't know where you are moving from but yeah, MN winters STINK! On the upside summers are great, and all the more appreciated after the crummy winter.;) I don't come to the general board much so feel free to PM me if I can help further.