Menu

If you use Biblioplan for grammar stage, what for logic?

Damselfly

For those of you using Biblioplan for grades 1-4 (with or without younger siblings), what happens when your dc starts the second history rotation in grade 5? Are you planning on starting over again (with SOTW 1 and all of the other resources) but adding higher-level readers and activities, and more outlining as recommended by SWB?? :001_huh:

I'm loving what I see with the Biblioplan layout, and am planning to use it when DS is in first grade (2009). My younger DS will be joining in once he begins first grade (two years later). I'm feeling helplessly confused about how people transition to the second history rotation when one child is in logic and one is still in grammar (and when the logic child has already completed SOTW). Any suggestions?? :confused:

Also, how is the SOTW Activity Guide incorporated into the Biblioplan schedule? If it's not, when/how do you implement the use of the AG? I'd really love to use it but I'm not sure how it fits in. Can you tell I'm overwhelmed with questions?? :001_smile:

I have Bibilioplan Ancients which we just started a few weeks ago. We love it so far. I have an almost 1st grader and almost 5th grader so we are starting the history cycle again. I'm still using Story of the World, which my 5th grader has already been through once, and just adding in the additional readings for the 4+. The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia is scheduled with many, many additional reads. I haven't felt the urge to add more to the schedule. (Which is amazing because I always feel that urge.) :-)

As for the AG, I correlate the it with when the SOTW is scheduled. I don't do ALL of the AG. We just add it what we like to do. So far it is working out great and is very easy to plan and implement.

Hope this is helpful,

Andrea

We are using Biblioplan for grammar stage, just finishing year 2 and ready to start year 3. I have not yet decided what we will use for logic stage but it will probably either be Biblioplan or TOG. I'm in a frugal, recessionary mindset at the moment and I can see us continuing with Biblioplan and still have a rich, different experience than the first time through.

In grammar stage, our regular references have been SOTW and the Usborne Encyclopedia of World History (and a bible storybook in year 1). We have done all K-2 readers both years and this year we added in many of the 3+ readers. We have done many/most of the family read-alouds. We will probably keep doing most K-2 readers during the next two years as I will still have one in that age range, but will also do most/all of the 3+ books. Older dd may start reading some of them on her own.

If we continue with Biblioplan, it will definitely be different the second time through with older kids. We will use the Famous Men books and the Kingfisher (which we already have). The kids will get more out of the Victor Journey through the Bible book first year and we would use the Bible instead of a bible story book. Oldest would be doing the 5+ books which look great, but have been a bit beyond us this time through. We would be able to do all of the family read-alouds. We would do some writing assignments, maybe outlining (I haven't done my homework on that yet), and the girls will have their own timeline books next time through. I would like to do SOTW again with younger dd. Ideally, older dd will do other reading on her own, but realistically I think that if I'm reading SOTW aloud, she will want to be right there listening to every word! But in my mind, SOTW will be for my younger dd and my older will have other reading/writing responsibilities on her plate.

As far as using the AG, it's not scheduled but it's really pretty easy. Biblioplan does schedule the SOTW chapters in a different order. When I'm planning a library trip, I first look at Biblioplan to see what chapters of SOTW we will cover over the next 3 or 4 weeks. I then look at the AG for those chapters and see which of their recommended books are in our library and I check those out. For weekly planning, I just note which chapters we are doing and note the map and coloring pages needed. For the most part we haven't done the extra activities/crafts, so that's about all I need to do.

We have really enjoyed Biblioplan and history is our favorite subject.

Thank you both for sharing how you use Biblioplan, and your plans for possible future use. You definitely helped clear up my "fog" of confusion!! Ali, when you say you're going to do the family read-alouds with your dc, does this mean your older child will be hearing the same read-alouds as before? Or does Biblioplan offer a selection of family read-alouds per topic??

I'm sure once I purchase it, things will look a LOT clearer than just trying to figure things out using the examples given on their webpage. ;)

I used Biblioplan the first time through, and I'm just starting the logic stage round. We have been doing ancients this year. I find that through adding Landmarks and Hentys, the excellent suggestions in the logic section of Biblioplan, a timeline, and outlining, it is plenty "different" enough for the logic stage. They are retaining much more this time around. They were a bit on the young side when I did ancients last time that I don't feel like I am short-changing them by doing "the same thing." It's actually hard to fit in the SOTW readings! I might assign SOTW as a reading silently book--who knows. I must admit not having much time for the AG this time around, but I have all of them already, so it's not like I've wasted the money. I did buy new student pages on sale for Ancients, but I haven't used them yet (and I'm on Greece--hmmm, maybe I should pull some out).

In short, Biblioplan is continuing to serve us well for the logic stage, so far.

Ali, when you say you're going to do the family read-alouds with your dc, does this mean your older child will be hearing the same read-alouds as before?

Yep, we'll be re-reading some books we've read before. There are actually many from ancients that we did not do; fewer from this year that we skipped but still some. Many are such favorites that we will want to read them again. There may be others that I will make a substitution instead of re-reading one--plenty of great books out there to read!