Menu

R&S English vs. CLE LA

Mom0012

Can someone give a comparison of these? I'm sure it's been asked many times before, but I can't find any of those threads with the search feature.

My daughter has used CLE for the last 2 years. She will be going into 4th grade next year and I am planning on using Megawords instead of CLE's spelling. It also seems like it would be a good time to switch to R&S English if that is the direction we decide to take. I really like the gentleness of CLE, the independence it fosters, and the continual review, but it seems like R&S is the program that gets top billing on this board.

Lisa

I have used both programs...but prefer CLE because it is a gentler and quicker approach, with better results for my kids. R&S was very thorough in the grammar and writing portions...almost too thorough. We ended up doing most of it either orally or just doing some of the exercises.

I switched to CLE because I wanted a program that was all inclusive...grammar, spelling, penmanship, copy work and writing. I was tired of having a different book for each portion of our language arts. It just got too cumbersome. I am disappointed with the writing portion of CLE, so I am using WWE with our read aloud books.

Anyhow, both programs are excellent. You just have to decide if you want a separate book for each thing, or an all inclusive book.

Faithe

I have used both programs...but prefer CLE because it is a gentler and quicker approach, with better results for my kids. R&S was very thorough in the grammar and writing portions...almost too thorough. We ended up doing most of it either orally or just doing some of the exercises.

I switched to CLE because I wanted a program that was all inclusive...grammar, spelling, penmanship, copy work and writing. I was tired of having a different book for each portion of our language arts. It just got too cumbersome. I am disappointed with the writing portion of CLE, so I am using WWE with our read aloud books.

Anyhow, both programs are excellent. You just have to decide if you want a separate book for each thing, or an all inclusive book.

Faithe

Faithe -

It is encouraging to hear that you think CLE is excellent even after having used R&S. It looks like you have a lot more homeschooling experience than I do since my oldest is only in 5th. Have you used the upper levels of CLE and R&S?

Thanks so much for your thoughts on this!

Lisa

I have used up to Level 8 in R&S and we have used the 9th/ 10th grade CLE (they are covered over 2 years...)

I am continually impressed with how well put together, systematic, and logicl the CLE program is. It just makes sense and the more years we use it, the more impressed I get, which says a lot, because I am a curriculum junkie...big time! I do tend to add other stuff ...but that is because I like to.

I do think the writing needs to be beefed up....which i said before.

This year my 2 boys are using WWE loosely...and dd is now using Sentence Composing and we will probably use an essay writing curriculum in the spring.

Other than the writing thogh, I think CLEhits the mark, and much more efficiently than R&S.

Faithe

I have used up to Level 8 in R&S and we have used the 9th/ 10th grade CLE (they are covered over 2 years...)

I am continually impressed with how well put together, systematic, and logicl the CLE program is. It just makes sense and the more years we use it, the more impressed I get, which says a lot, because I am a curriculum junkie...big time! I do tend to add other stuff ...but that is because I like to.

I do think the writing needs to be beefed up....which i said before.

This year my 2 boys are using WWE loosely...and dd is now using Sentence Composing and we will probably use an essay writing curriculum in the spring.

Other than the writing thogh, I think CLEhits the mark, and much more efficiently than R&S.

Faithe

Thanks again for responding. I think you've really helped me to make up my mind to stick with CLE -- and that is no small task! :001_smile: I just went and checked out their website when you mentioned you'd used levels 9 and 10 and was surprised to see their sunrise edition went that far. That's wonderful!

Anyway, I am all about efficiency, and CLE definitely fits the bill in that area. I'm also using WWE and it seems like a good combination. I was mostly concerned about whether it was "enough" and if my dd would be missing out on something by not doing R&S and you have made me feel confident that CLE will do the job. Thanks for helping me put this decision to rest.

Lisa