Menu

Which Sony e reader?

LNC

It's a basic no-frills e-reader. The Kindle and Nook have more features and may have more selections through their stores. I just wanted to carry around lots of classics. I got the Sony Pocket last Mother's Day and I love it. I've downloaded tons of free classics through googlebooks. Our library doesn't offer epub books YET so I've thought of joining the Philadelphia Library for that service.

I did buy a cover when I saw one on clearance because I wanted to protect the screen from incidental bumps and scratches.

EDITED:

Just realized the one I have is the 300, not the 350. The features have been updated SUBSTANTIALLY. Sorry. Still, I'm happy with my Sony and the new version looks SO much better than mine. =)

Edited by BamaTanya

I LOVE my Sony Reader, for so many reasons. The touch screen is wonderful. The ability to use the Overdrive library ebook system has rejuvenated my reading habits. If you need more opinions of the 350, browse the Sony subforum of the MobileRead forums. (Yes, there's a forum for that too. ;))

I have the 950, but if I hadn't had birthday money from my MIL to spend, or if I'd needed a smaller e-reader, I'd have been just as happy with the 350. But don't buy from that source. Through tomorrow (the 14th) it is on sale for $129 at Sony Style and Borders, either online or in brick & mortar stores. After Monday the price is expected to go back up to $179.

You can also see the Sony Readers in person at Borders, Sony, or Best Buy stores, but Best Buy is no longer selling it at the sale price. If a Best Buy store is convenient to you, it might be worth reading up on their price match policy to see if you can get them to honor the $129. But shipping is free at Sony Style, so I wouldn't go to too much trouble trying to buy from Best Buy. Unless I had Borders gift cards, I'd probably buy from Sony Style online before Borders. Since Borders is a book retailer, their return policy on electronics can be a hassle.

Personally, I'd buy a flip case or envelope case, just to provide another layer of protection for the screen. If the screen was facing the outside of your purse and someone bumped into it, the impact could ruin the screen. :( IMO, it is just not worth the risk. Plus, I find it more comfortable to hold the reader in a vertical flip case. Search for options/reviews on MobileRead. I was able to find a cheap but perfectly adequate case ($15) on Amazon Marketplace for my 950 by searching MobileRead. I have an envelope style sleeve with a velcro closure too, but I never use it. If you decide not to use a case (or even if you do!), consider personalizing with a decal skin from Decalgirl too. They're super cool, and I prefer the feel of the matte-finish ($5 extra, but worth it IMO) decal to the smooth metal of the reader. :D

If I was buying right now, I'd compare the Sony 350 to the Kobo from Borders, which is now $99 dollars. HOWEVER, it appears that Borders will be filing for bankruptcy in the near future, so it could limit your options for buying ebooks in the future. But there ARE other places to buy books for the Kobo, so you'd probably never be left high and dry.

Edited by jplain

We have lots of ereaders because we have lots of ebooks, and Sony Readers are my favorite. My own reader is the 350 and I love it. I also think it's worth buying some sort of case for your reader, whatever kind you get.

I much prefer our Sony Readers to the Kindle because I think it's easier to navigate. I also prefer it over Nook and Kobo because I like the full touchscreen, especially since it doesn't add any glare.

• 5 months later...
Guest Curtisbud

There are quite a few options for keeping your phone in the condition that it came in. An Sony E reader skin is a popular choice as they provide a good amount of protection and increase your devices durability.

Sony E reader skin